Difflock Evo synthetic gear oils - worth the extra?

I'd endorse Millers enthusiastically generally, but I contacted them re R380 oil as they don't have an obvious substitute for MTF94; their advice was to use 15w/40 semi synthetic engine oil. I'm not sure whether that's good advice ( I'm not saying it's bad; I just don't know) It seems ATF isn't adequate, and it needs a synthetic gear oil around 5w20. Apart from Texaco MTF94 (the official LR recommendation which you can allegedly get from Partco, or of course LR dealers) the difflock oil and Redline MTL seem to get get good comments when you google. The Difflock oil is not cheap but then neither is Redline or a gearbox rebuild. I'm thinking I'll go for MTF94 or Evo 1 for my R380. If anyone from Millers reads this - come on, make a proper R380 oil at a sensible price please!!

Nigel

I'd endorse Millers enthusiastically generally, but I contacted them re R380 oil as they don't have an obvious substitute for MTF94; their advice was to use 15w/40 semi synthetic engine oil. I'm not sure whether that's good advice ( I'm not saying it's bad; I just don't know) It seems ATF isn't adequate, and it needs a synthetic gear oil around 5w20. Apart from Texaco MTF94 (the official LR recommendation which you can allegedly get from Partco, or of course LR dealers) the difflock oil and Redline MTL seem to get get good comments when you google. The Difflock oil is not cheap but then neither is Redline or a gearbox rebuild. I'm thinking I'll go for MTF94 or Evo 1 for my R380. If anyone from Millers reads this - come on, make a proper R380 oil at a sensible price please!!

Nigel

Yep Partco stock it, made an improvement to my LT77 over ATF, helped with the slow shift between 1st & 2nd when cold, didnt cure it completely but certainly helped.

<snip> and it needs a synthetic gear oil around 5w20. Apart from Texaco MTF94 (the official LR recommendation which you can allegedly get from Partco, or of course LR dealers) <snip>

Nigel

Nope, MTF94 is a 75w-80 MTF, which is equivalent in viscosity range to a 10W-30 engine oil.

There are a stack of MTF's suitable for an R380, http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/MTF.htm although they may have slightly different synchro characteristics and R380's can be a bit idiosyncratic in that what one gearbox likes another may not. there are a few more available than JB's list too, with Penrite now having a synthetic MTF that they claim meets MTF94 specs.

In higher ambients my first choice is generally Castrol Syntrans, and most I've put onto it prefer it over almost any other lube.

I use Redline MTL in my R380. Gives very smooth gear changes.

When cold the first gear change is a little stiff, but as soon as the oil has circulated the changes are easy.

I also use Redline in the transfer and overdrive gears and their Shockproof range in the diffs.

So far I can't fault it and the service range is 3-4 times standard gear oils.

Initially a higher investment which pays for itself over time, reducing the number of oil changes required and providing the best gear protection you can get.

John

One thing that does help cold 1st to 2nd shifts in the morning is if you have a hand throttle as fitted to FFR Defenders and others is to pull it out to the first stop and have the engine ticking over slightly quicker-it helps to align everything speed wise in the 'box better than just blipping the throttle on upshifts.

Also handy for 'cruise control' on a quiet motorway

I have used the originally specified ATF IID and added Titaniumdisulfide powder (Ws2). (approx 75 grams for the whole filling)

It's in now since 2000 miles and the performance has improved. It's not that the gearbox is as new now but gearchanges from first to second are easier now. Also I have the feeling that the gearbox (R380) is not getting as hot anymore.