non land rover car question (izusu trooper)

maxtherotti

yes i know the shame is killing me :P

does any one know how reliable a izusu trooper is?

the car in question is a 95(ish) 3.1 td swb manual with 127k on it

any problems to look for?

are they a good strong tow car?

i know they are not in the same interior comfort league as the rangie but i cant have every thing :blink:

thanks chaps

rob

my missus has one and uses it to tow horse boxes etc not had any problems with it, and a local recovery type guy uses one and apparntly very well behaved with car trailers to. i havent towed with one but have done a few long journeys and there pretty comfy and nice to drive .

hope this helps

my missus has one and uses it to tow horse boxes etc not had any problems with it, and a local recovery type guy uses one and apparntly very well behaved with car trailers to. i havent towed with one but have done a few long journeys and there pretty comfy and nice to drive .

hope this helps

My Mrs also has one for towing horse box, and I use it during the shooting season to carry the dog etc off road between drives... Pig ugly beast of a car but the most reliable 4x4 we have ever owned, great off road and not so bad on it... In 5 years it has had one set of tyres (The sidewalls perished first) two sets of brake pads and a starter motor (Known problem on 3.5 V6). Tows the horsebox (HB510) with two 16 2 IDxTB with no problem at all, never been stuck off road either. Great car to work on your self and some parts from Isuzu are not to badly priced, also a fairly good indie parts supplier marketplace as well...

If they still made them I would buy another. My other car is a Land Rover though (Series 3 that I should have renovated before the start of the shooting season but has since turned into a complete nut and bolt rebuild)

Mark

my mate rolled his rangie classic and bought the isuzu bighorn 3.1 diesel auto because he needed a motor quick...

changing filters etc is a bit more fiddly than on lannys.. i figured its because the men in japan have smaller hands than the men in solihull!!

it towed my car trailer with my discovery on it really well (to my dissapointment) and it has had the auto box messed with so it does around 38mpg under normal driving condititons...

has 7 seats too which comes in handy sometimes!!

good car all round but i personally would not have one because it would be like cheating on my lannys!!! gotta love the green oval!!

my mate rolled his rangie classic and bought the isuzu bighorn 3.1 diesel auto because he needed a motor quick...

changing filters etc is a bit more fiddly than on lannys.. i figured its because the men in japan have smaller hands than the men in solihull!!

it towed my car trailer with my discovery on it really well (to my dissapointment) and it has had the auto box messed with so it does around 38mpg under normal driving condititons...

has 7 seats too which comes in handy sometimes!!

good car all round but i personally would not have one because it would be like cheating on my lannys!!! gotta love the green oval!!

Can't speak for the Oilburners but the petrol Isuzu takes about 10 mins per filter to change Oil and Air... Oil being the easiest and at £3 inc VAT for a filter from Isuzu not to painful either... Brake pads from Isuzu are another thing altogether price wise though... Milners etc far cheaper... Piece of tiddle to change though...

Up until the Trooper we had Rangies and then Shoguns trying to find the reliability utopia. Shoguns being the worse. So the Isuzu was purchased, unfortunately I am a bit of Land Rover nut having learnt to drive in them from an early age and rebuilding many throughout my life so the Mrs had to compromise, hence the Series 3 Shooting car... Roll on an improvement in the weather to get it finished

yes i know the shame is killing me :P

does any one know how reliable a izusu trooper is?

the car in question is a 95(ish) 3.1 td swb manual with 127k on it

any problems to look for?

are they a good strong tow car?

i know they are not in the same interior comfort league as the rangie but i cant have every thing :blink:

thanks chaps

rob

They are damned reliable, but they do rot in the chassis especially at the back.

The 3.1 is not as strong an engine as the 2.8, in that they suffer more from head gasket failure, they also generate a lot more heat so are a lot less tolerant of abuse.

manual boxes are bullet proof, autos are not.

Many 3.1s suffer from electrical demons in the charging department, look for glowing charge warning light or over/under charging on the guage.

They do tow very well though.

steering is effortlessly light, brakes are awesome, steering lock will blow any rover product out of the water.

I really miss my last one, in every aspect it was better than the disco i replaced it with :(

I drove one for two years and I have to say that the 3.1 engine is a great powerfull machine. Wouldn't mind to put it into my 90. You can forget the later 3.0 engine, as they all blow their gaskets and are not reliable at all. Over the two years I never had any problems. With a lift and the right tires they are fine off road as well.

Mate of mine has one, now at 230,000+ something miles on it

drives more like 23,000 :lol:

He says ultra reliable, fuel consumption is something

"I'd prefer not to discuss - esp when towing trailer with mini Kobota on it"

Some of the parts costs are sometimes "Terrifying" but his just keeps on going.

Some are rot boxes and others seem immune, and there doesn't seem to be a reason why as such so check good and hard

his I fink is the LWB 3.1 ?

Nige

They are damned reliable, but they do rot in the chassis especially at the back.

The 3.1 is not as strong an engine as the 2.8, in that they suffer more from head gasket failure, they also generate a lot more heat so are a lot less tolerant of abuse.

manual boxes are bullet proof, autos are not.

Many 3.1s suffer from electrical demons in the charging department, look for glowing charge warning light or over/under charging on the guage.

They do tow very well though.

steering is effortlessly light, brakes are awesome, steering lock will blow any rover product out of the water.

I really miss my last one, in every aspect it was better than the disco i replaced it with :(

What he said, I'm still between Land Rovers mainly cause my temp runner ;) Isuzu Bighorn (trooper) is so damned easy to live with. I think if it did its engine in (3.1) I would swap in a 2.8, other than that it does everything we need it to with total reliabilty. As long as oil changes have been regular & all fluids topped up when necessary, they'll go twice that distance easily. Totally lacking in charisma but I have turned my back on a couple of Discos cause this thing is hard to refuse. When I can run to a play car rather than an essential family transport, I'll get another Landie then.

Steve

well this pretty much seals the deal then

looks like im swapping the rangie for some ugly as sin isuzu pooper lol

rob

ps what sort of job is the cambelt on one of these????

Petrol = Rubber

Not sure about the Diesels..

Mark

We had one for a while. I recall some parts were silly money and took a while to order in. It did most of what was asked of it but felt a bit stiff and tight. All in all it was ok in a sort of soulless Jap car like way but our relationship ended after I ran it into the back of HGV.