200 tdi conversion: do I keep the exhaust ?

Hi all,

I’m in the middle of my 2,5 NA to 200 TDi conversion. :rolleyes:

My question: can I keep the original NA- exhaust, or is it to small and do I need a TD or 200 TDI exhaust ?

It would hate squeezing the engine to much and lose all that TDI-power !

I take it that the NA-exhaust will have different brackets compared to the TD or TDI chimneys.....?

Thanks !

Edwin.

PS I've bought that luuuvely Steve Parker downpipe-thingie....

The late 300TDi exhaust is the best one to go for - full bore width and it is easier to fit as it doesn't have that transverse rear silencer that the 200TDis have.

If you get the downpipe section too you can chop it down to fit onto the Steve Parker downpipe - they're only about 20 quid and it saves all the hassle and is a nice neat job.

you will probably need to modify/fabricate the centre silencer bracket as it sits too far forward on the n/a exaust - I just extended the mount rearward with some angle iron.

when my TD was removed & the 200Tdi fitted, the complete exhaust system was retained, only recently was the downpipe swapped for a genuine 200Tdi pipe, the rest of the system is still TD, the correct 200Tdi system has different mounts with a rubber ring & pin type hangers, if you change the whole lot, you'll have to change the hangers too.

Just finishing my conversion -

the Steve Parker exhaust is an excellent bit of kit, fitted within 10mins of starting! the only mod needed was to cut about 6" off the TD pipe.

The instructions with the kit recommend using TD/Tdi pipe rather than petrol/NA size if I remember correctly.

Have fun!

D.

Thanks all,

Just ordered a complete TD-exhaust system today.

As I understand it is suited for use with the 200 TDI and has the hangers sort of in the same place as my NA exhaust has them now.......I hope.... :unsure:

Again, thanks for the replies !

Edwin.

Yes :D