Tyres which ones and where

jakeybaby

I am currently running simex 16" x 35" extreme treckers and was looking around to change them as i`ve bust so many diffs and half shafts i`m getting fed up of changing them.

Also the road noise is a pain.

I was looking at my opyions on Devon`s site, I was wanting to get get 35" BFG muds but they only do them in 15" as ive already got my mach 5`s i wanted to keep them.

can anyone tell me what the metric equillivant of a 35" X 16" is or what a good alternative tyre would be ?

Tim

You're looking to swap some 35" tyres for some other 35" tyres to stop your halfshafts breaking?

Genius. Do it.

Al.

Swap: No !! decided to go the other way so ive invested in some Ashcroft shafts and CV`s and a 4:75 diff and lockers now I can keep the Simex we`ll se what breaks next.

Tim

Blimey John - having a bad day?? :P

No - but I'm with Al, it's genius. Tyres don't break things, people break things. If you've "got bored changing diffs and shafts" then how have you managed to avoid learning some mechanical sympathy? If nothing else, the price of a set of tyres would be better spent on some stronger bits if you must drive with your lower brain.

No - but I'm with Al, it's genius. Tyres don't break things, people break things. If you've "got bored changing diffs and shafts" then how have you managed to avoid learning some mechanical sympathy? If nothing else, the price of a set of tyres would be better spent on some stronger bits if you must drive with your lower brain.

So if your right I am better off keeping my 35" simex tyres, keeping all the standard CV`s and drive shafts ? then spend my hard earned money on driving lessons so that I can overcome my desire to challenge me and my vehicle .

See I was asking a legitimate question I thought: if i keep the simex I need to strengthen the drive train ? or get rid of the simex and get maybe BFG muds so giving a little bit of give at the wheels ?

I bow down to your overwhelming knowledge and will go away to contemplate my stupidity :P:P

Thanks

Tim

I think you're missing the point slightly, your original post was basically "What 35" tyres can I replace my 35" tyres with to stop breaking stuff?". There are a number of solutions to your problem and changing the tyres for ones with less grip is not near the top. I would say in descending order of effectiveness / ascending cost your options are:

1) Take a chill pill and learn some mechanical sympathy (there's plenty of posts about the easiest way to kill bits of drivetrain, yet you can watch people doing all of them at any given play day / challenge)

2) Fit some uprated bits (which needn't be bling, you can buy a pair of 24-spl axles for £250, you can DIY pin diffs)

3) Axle swap (Toyotas / Nissan are cheaper than a trip to Ashcrofts with the credit card)

4) Different tyres (TBH I wonder if going down a size would be a better compromise than just having less grip)

1a) Block of wood under the accelerator :lol:

I think you're missing the point slightly, your original post was basically "What 35" tyres can I replace my 35" tyres with to stop breaking stuff?". There are a number of solutions to your problem and changing the tyres for ones with less grip is not near the top. I would say in descending order of effectiveness / ascending cost your options are:

1) Take a chill pill and learn some mechanical sympathy (there's plenty of posts about the easiest way to kill bits of drivetrain, yet you can watch people doing all of them at any given play day / challenge)

2) Fit some uprated bits (which needn't be bling, you can buy a pair of 24-spl axles for £250, you can DIY pin diffs)

3) Axle swap (Toyotas / Nissan are cheaper than a trip to Ashcrofts with the credit card)

4) Different tyres (TBH I wonder if going down a size would be a better compromise than just having less grip)

1a) Block of wood under the accelerator :lol:

Thanks for the reply, When I started off roading some three years ago I bought a beast of toy that had a sweet v8 and 40" dumper tyres on it, I ragged that motor everywhere I went and believe me it went anywhere, the drivetrain was standard 10 spline on the front and an old salibury on the back. In 18 months of learning to offroad and ragging it I broke one front halfshaft.

I am now running a 300 tdi 90" truck cab, it has 35" simex 24 spl axles with an arb locker, I do like a challenge yes but I`m not just a foot to the floor and see what happens bloke, but since owning this motor ive bust 3 crown wheels and about 4 halfshafts. I suppose you can call them all driver error as its me at the wheel. I had just been told by so many that the simex grip so well thats why i`m busting stuff ?

I have taken on hills and flown up them no trouble due to the grip of the tyre, but then I watch my friends take on the same hill, they eventually get up the same hill but with a lot of wheel spin and effort, but they make it.

I was tryiny to find feedback from other users of simex to see if they had the same problem, "can you use 35"simex with standard axles with no trouble" or do I get a good mud tyre or toughen up the CV`s and shafts.

The reason for the original question was BFG do a 35 x 15 mud but not a 35 x16 I wanted to know what size 16" tyre people were buying, however I have now increased the profits at Ashcrofts and bought the CV`s and shafts, so we`ll see what happens now. but thanks for all your inputs.

Tim

• 2 years later...