Welding or fixing a leaking coolant pipe - quickest solution?

Astro_Al

Hi folks, my tig welder has started spewing coolant from a pipe in the radiator - looks like the little blighter has frozen and split.

I think its copper pipe, looks about 10 or 15mm (sorry all info from a quick glance as I was rushing out).

Split is about 1cm long, in line with the pipe, more or less, but on a tight U bend.

What is the fastest, easiest way to get this thing sealed up and running?

...and don't say tig it...!

Cheers, Al.

:)

If it's a stock plumbing size then cut it out & replace with some new pipe / elbow. If it's not, see if you can remove the assembly complete and replace it with something made of standard plumbing/hydro/flexi heater hose parts to save arsing about.

The other solution is to wander into HypHose, wave it under their noses and ask them nicely to make it better, they're not easily beaten.

Ideally, silver-solder. Not particularly difficult to do. A small blowlamp silversolder and flux for it. Alternatively, you can get some Lloyds approved marine repair tape. It is moisture curing polyester and glass bandage. Even damp air cures it, but instructions say to wet the bandage before application. .. various widths and lengths. http://www.thistlebond.info/products/engin.../piperepair.htm

How can I know when to pretend to be out if no-one warns me that its TTPOOAT???

You're probably right... In the end I squirted some of that 2-pack rad fix stuff from Halfrauds all over it (after closing up the gap & cleaning of course).

Took a while to harden in the cold, and is yet untested as my friggin' coolant pump has now decided to leak as well. GRRR.

Put ethylene glycol in your tig coolant people!!! (Actually I've heard arguments for doing so and not doing so, but after this, I will be doing so for evermore!)

[or keep the tig in the living room where it belongs]

Al

;)