All Lights gone out.

Well went out last night to go give a mate a lift and tryed to turn on my lights and nothing happened. I have Hazzards when i do the switch but have no indicatiors i have full beam when i pull the lever towards me and thats about all i get from the lights now i have brake lights only when pressed.

I have checked all the fuses and swapped over the relays but nothing. Also swapped over the side/dip switch also but still nothing any help much aprieciated.

Keith.

TD5 1999.

If you have no sidelights, or gauge illum I would start with your headlight switch. brown feed, red sidelights and gauges then blue for dip/main.

I only have the haynes manual to hand so not sure if this still is good for TD5.

Your hazard feed should be fed off a purple feed which is perm live through a fuse, other separate branch purple for horn and dash clock, radio mem.

Brake lights are on with ign(white) and should be on a green feed after fuse

good luck

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Ok had a little time to have a look at this.

Could anyone tell me what this brown relay is for on the TD5 its the one next to teh yellow light one. It seems to not be working and its got brown wires going into it and orange coming out its the same brown wires that go into the switch on the steering colum. Could this be causeing the loss of lights?

Also say if i short the purple wire that goes to the flash/indicators onto the red sidelights wire it it sorts the problem and thats even with the brown relay out and if its in.

Ok had a little time to have a look at this.

Could anyone tell me what this brown relay is for on the TD5 its the one next to teh yellow light one. It seems to not be working and its got brown wires going into it and orange coming out its the same brown wires that go into the switch on the steering colum. Could this be causeing the loss of lights?

Also say if i short the purple wire that goes to the flash/indicators onto the red sidelights wire it it sorts the problem and thats even with the brown relay out and if its in.

May I suggest you check the header first. Behind the centre cover for the clock, cig lighter etc you will find a blue plastic cap on the end of a ribbon cable. The cables run down to the fuses and relay in a vertical channel. They are a tight fit in there. Finding the right header is not straight forward; there are several of them, and they are often tucked well down into the cable well. The header is a multiple conenctor, and they are a known point of failure. I had exactly the same symptoms as you, and the fault was this header. You will need to find it, take off the cap, clean all the connections, then clip the cap back on. To help in diagnosis, there is the well known method of belting it. Because the headers can be a sod to find, try switching on the light switch, then hitting the area behind and above the fuse holder (take off the cover first). You may just find the lights come back to life, as it is just a poor connection. This will at least confirm the fault.

Good luck!