Steering wobble

MJB

Hello

My standard, unmodified RRC has a really nasty steering wobble at 55MPH, actually wobble is understating it; it rattles. It usually starts if I run over a bump at or above that speed, it then continues whatever speed I do unless I brake through the wobble down to about 40 and accelerate back up to 50ish.

I was thinking along the lines of the bushes being shot, any suggestions?

Thanks

had a similar problem with my disco a while back, in my case it was slack in the steering box, which was only detectable on full lock. adjusted the box and it has improved it.

i did try, steering damper,front shockers, panhard bushes, new swivel bearings, new lower steering column, new drop arm ball joint & new drag link and track rod joints - all sorts to try and clear it.

i do suspect that the hockey stick bushes are shot as well, because it still does it to a slight degree.

Same on my DSE, replaced dampers, some bushes, steering damper, track rod ends, drop arm, tyres, swapped wheels, replaced more bushes, nothing made the slightest difference until I adjusted the steering box, much better now.

This is most likely to be a knackered steering damper and or swivel preload.

All of the previous suggestions are possibles, but I would look at these two first unless you can obviously see things like TRE's or steering UJ's with play.

Hi

I had a very bad shake on my 91 RRC when I lived in the UK ,I replaced dampers springs bushes adjusted the swivels, I took it to a power steering workshop and had the box passed as good, In a last try (befor it went in the river) John at LRR lent me a s/hand box and......IT WORKED!, So a recon box was purchased and fitted no more trouble (and the RRC stayed on dry land).

When the box was stripped down they found a seal had split and under great force such as hitting a pothole it allowed fluid passed it and started the shake, but with normal hand force there was no play .

That was 60,000 mls ago and still no shake, But I do all my driving on French roads now so not many potholes out here.

Regards Steve.