Overdrive spewing oil out of the breather

Its as the title says really. I've just driven 150 miles from somerset on the motorway and twice during the journey i thought i could smell oil. On having a look inder the bonnet, some oil has come out of the overdrive breather pipe (there wasn't a lot of it but it didn't look red -perhaps due to the small amount). I noticed that JST had a similar problem on a thread he wrote which is in the tech archive (point 11)

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=2785

Is this at all normal? Its a secondhand unit, so should have worn in already, but guess it was totally drained of oil when I bought it so it may suffer similar problems to JST. The breather setup is the same as the one Les installed in the tech archive on here.

After the journey, it did seem a bit jerky after i had switched the overdrive off i.e. on the slip road slowing down, flicked the OD off fine, seconds later it almost kangarooed a little in 5th (still at 50mph so not too slow). Seems ok now though.

One other thing i noticed - i blew down the breather pipe (as you do!) after i'd fitted the unit to check all the jubilee clips were done up ok. The pressure built up and i stopped but there was a faint hiss coming from the transfer box breather. Does this indicate a seal on its way out between the overdive and the transfer box?

has it got the right spec of ATF in it? mine never suffered after the first couple of hundred miles and if its 2nd hand that shouldnt be the problem.

Does it do it on short runs or just a 150m motorway run>?

sounds like it didnt completely disengage or was clicking back in - faulty oil pump? also causing over pressuring of the unit the spillage problem?

has it got the right spec of ATF in it? mine never suffered after the first couple of hundred miles and if its 2nd hand that shouldnt be the problem.

Does it do it on short runs or just a 150m motorway run>?

sounds like it didnt completely disengage or was clicking back in - faulty oil pump? also causing over pressuring of the unit the spillage problem?

I'm using Castrol ATF - the same as what i've put in the Manual gearbox. I couldn't find a specification for the oil other than 'approved ATF' in the fitting instructions. This is the first time its spewed the oil out of the breather - its not done it on any of the shorter journeys i've done with it (50 miles or less).

It seemed like it was engaging/disengaging in quick succession on the slip road (it did one more time after that and then was fine). Will check the connections tommorow. Would a faulty oil pump cause this fault (i can see how it may cause the spillage)?

there's only gaskets between OD & Transfer box, the later unit's had the white plastic pot so any oil would be caught & drain back into the OD as it cooled, not had any oil blow from the vent on my unit.

The only other thing i can think of doing is to check i've not overfilled it - pretty sure i've not as i'm quite careful with that sort of thing. Mine has the white plastic pot so it should work ok as you describe.

I use Castrol ATF in mine & it's fine, could be slightly overfilled but only if filled from the breather hole as if the fill/level plug on rear face is used the fluid will find it's own level & excess will drain out, until correct,

I've not had the oil spew issue. My overdrive has been in for about 7000miles engaged for about 3500 miles at a guess.

I have had the hanging in + also jerky engagement & disengagement after long journeys. Anything over about 50miles continual engagement seems to do it. Very bad after 85mph runs for 8 hours only slowing down for toll stations.

My thought is that the oil capacity and therefore cooling ability of the oil is nowhere near adequate. I change the oil every 2000 miles in the overdrive and the colour (no longer red a sort of red/brown) and smell suggests its getting far too hot.

I am currently trying ATF that is supposed to be able to cope with higher temperatures, have not had in for long enough to have an outcome.

Mark

I've not had the oil spew issue. My overdrive has been in for about 7000miles engaged for about 3500 miles at a guess.

I have had the hanging in + also jerky engagement & disengagement after long journeys. Anything over about 50miles continual engagement seems to do it. Very bad after 85mph runs for 8 hours only slowing down for toll stations.

My thought is that the oil capacity and therefore cooling ability of the oil is nowhere near adequate. I change the oil every 2000 miles in the overdrive and the colour (no longer red a sort of red/brown) and smell suggests its getting far too hot.

I am currently trying ATF that is supposed to be able to cope with higher temperatures, have not had in for long enough to have an outcome.

Mark

Thats interesting. What type if ATF are you trying out of interest? It smells like you describe as well. I'll check the oil level tomorrow as i've had a look and it was on a slight slope when i checked it last time.

I can't get mine near 85mph (except down hills!). Fitting the OD does seem to have slowed the 110 down a little (even with it not engaged). Has anyone else had this? My theory is that there is more to turn and therefore more power is used turning the running gear. Its a standard 200tdi. It runs really well, but would do 85 in 5th on the flat before I fitted the OD, now its pretty hard to get it there. Was thinking of having the pump and boost pressure checked, removing the centre silencer on the exhaust and later in the year fitting a larger intercooler. (I don't want stunning top speeds just useable power).

Never had oil overflow on mine. It worked loose on the back of the Tbox once which screwed a couple of bearings, since replaced. It does get very hot though when engaged, regular oil changes are essential. I use MTF94 as it's what's in my pump bottle at the moment.

Mine has glitched a couple of times, shuttling in and out which I put down to ecu, pretty rare though. I get very smooth upchanges but normally declutch on downchange, usually during a normal gearshift.

Getting slower top speed with an OD engaged in any LR is normal (unless it's tweaked) but cruising is far more relaxed. Shouldn't make any difference to perfomance when not engaged though.

Ok,

Confession time - i checked the level this morning and quite a few glugs of oil came out for it to level off (would estimate just over 100ml)! The oil level probably sat towards the top of the filler plug so way too much oil in it. I guess it was on more of a slope than i thought when i last checked the level! It was not on a slope this morning! Hopefully that will solve the problem of it spewing oil out.

What came out definately wasn't red anymore though.

What came out definately wasn't red anymore though.

Unless you make some modifications (IIRC someone on here posted these at some point) you will get migration of oil into the overdrive. This migration seems to affect operation of O/D on long journeys and you get the symptoms you described.

I like the others, changed the fluid in the O/D at more frequent intervals and it helps, but it didn't cure it altogether in my case.

Cheers

Steve

Unless you make some modifications (IIRC someone on here posted these at some point) you will get migration of oil into the overdrive. This migration seems to affect operation of O/D on long journeys and you get the symptoms you described.

I like the others, changed the fluid in the O/D at more frequent intervals and it helps, but it didn't cure it altogether in my case.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks. I did think it looked and smelt a little like EP90 when i drained it (perhaps i didn't overfill it that much and it was sucking oil instead). Looks like it may have to come off and have the big end bearing and transfer case oil seal replaced as in this thread:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...l=overdrive+oil

I thought i'd read all the threads on these units on here, but more keep popping out of the woodwork! I'll have to contact devon 4x4 for the parts.....

Thats interesting. What type if ATF are you trying out of interest? It smells like you describe as well. I'll check the oil level tomorrow as i've had a look and it was on a slight slope when i checked it last time.

I can't get mine near 85mph (except down hills!). Fitting the OD does seem to have slowed the 110 down a little (even with it not engaged). Has anyone else had this? My theory is that there is more to turn and therefore more power is used turning the running gear. Its a standard 200tdi. It runs really well, but would do 85 in 5th on the flat before I fitted the OD, now its pretty hard to get it there. Was thinking of having the pump and boost pressure checked, removing the centre silencer on the exhaust and later in the year fitting a larger intercooler. (I don't want stunning top speeds just useable power).

Some Texaco expensive stuff - can't remember the type/name can look Thursday.

Yeah 85 in standard spec is pushing a little bit! Been quite happy with the Allisport Stage 2 and couple of other tweaks, will easily do 3 figure speeds.

Mark.