Springs

Hi all

Im looking at getting some new springs for my 90, ive currently got a set of 2" scorpion springs which i think were for disco as i cant seem to get my 90 anywhere near level so im now thinking of getting new springs. Im in the middle of sitting a full external cage and chllenge wings as i am looking at taking part in the Challenge South West events.

I have seen heavy duty springs for sale but am thinking that it will reduce the amount of flex due to the stiffness of the springs. Has anyone got any recomendation to lift springs that would be suitable.

Cheers

Tris

Hi all

Im looking at getting some new springs for my 90, ive currently got a set of 2" scorpion springs which i think were for disco as i cant seem to get my 90 anywhere near level so im now thinking of getting new springs. Im in the middle of sitting a full external cage and chllenge wings as i am looking at taking part in the Challenge South West events.

I have seen heavy duty springs for sale but am thinking that it will reduce the amount of flex due to the stiffness of the springs. Has anyone got any recomendation to lift springs that would be suitable.

Cheers

Tris

I run terrafirma springs on my challenge truck, Medium rear springs all round! If you are intrested PM me or email me Dan@frogsisland4x4.com

Many Thanks

Ive had a look on frogisland and the terrafirma shocks are out of my price range, as well as the air shocks. Once the cage is on and the wings are fitted i will take a trip to the weighbridge and see what the weights are.

Any other suggestion or recomendations?

Yep 1.

Having just re read your post :) I note you have springs on there of which the length poundage are unknown

(let alone if they are what they should be). This could make things a tad tricky sorting out new ones

as you really need a known base point to start from

Obtain a set of springs, a set of decent condition genuine LR PAINT marked would be good, and fit these. This then gives

you a datum, with the now known pounages and colours you can say 2Hmmmm, need +2.25 inchs here, and x here etc" and then

use the spring calculator to work out what goes from the LR Springs range to get you there. When I did this on mine

originally I wanted soft springs long travel for flex, from what was on there I also wanted to raise the truck

as it had more weight than std with the cage winch etc, and did the calcs.

I was stunned to be less than 1/4inch out all round, so its worth the efforts, but as I said you need a know base to start from :)

Plan B is to get it weighed and post up total front vs rear - I and others may be able to get you close to what you wnat from that alone

HTH

NIge

Ive had a look on frogisland and the terrafirma shocks are out of my price range, as well as the air shocks. Once the cage is on and the wings are fitted i will take a trip to the weighbridge and see what the weights are.

Any other suggestion or recomendations?

Tris....

What Terrafirma shocks have you been looking at? I'm running Terrafirma +5 shocks which rrp at £37.50 +vat , which im sure i can do a good deal on :lol: and the +2 shocks rrp at £35.25 +vat.

Dan

Tris....

What Terrafirma shocks have you been looking at? I'm running Terrafirma +5 shocks which rrp at £37.50 +vat , which im sure i can do a good deal on :lol: and the +2 shocks rrp at £35.25 +vat.

Dan

Sorry Dan, i was meant to say that the Springs are too expensive for my price range. I did see the price of the Shocks and were supprised at cost as i would have thought they would be more expensive than they are.

Nige, Once the cage is on and the challenge wings are in place i will take a trip to the weighbridge and get the overall weight, plus the front and back axle weights. I had a quick look at the spring calculator last night and it looks good - i'll just need to work out what its trying to tell me. If i can i will try and source some standard springs and put in place to work out a datum point.

Tris

Sorry Dan, i was meant to say that the Springs are too expensive for my price range. I did see the price of the Shocks and were supprised at cost as i would have thought they would be more expensive than they are.

Let me know which ones your after and I'm sure I can make them a more attractive price.!

This could make things a tad tricky sorting out new ones

as you really need a known base point to start from

I would say yes and no to this.

If you weigh the truck as Nidge ;) suggests you can then make an allowance for unsprung weight. (Front axle and wheels 250kg? Rear 150kg?) This then gives you the total load on each pair of springs. (The sprung weight)

If you measure your spring seat distance on the truck you can then decide how high you want your truck to ride.

Now you can select a pair of springs of the correct free length and poundange that when you apply the load you calculated above will end up at the ride height you want. You will probably have a few to choose between as you could go for short and stiff :ph34r: or long and soft :ph34r::ph34r: to achieve the same ride height but with vastly different on road and off road behaviour. This is where the experience of members of this forum come to your aid via the search button. You will obviously have to add in your preferences for hard or soft :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Once you have found an appropriate spring you can choose its partner to give you the requisite Land Rover Lean.

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

Ive finally got around to finishing the roll cage so i was able to work out the weights of the truck.

The overall weights is 2200KGs

The front is 1120 KGs

The rear is 1060 KGs

What are the unsprung weights of the front and rear?

Ive had a look at LR90.coms spring calculator but im not really sure how to use it, any advice would be much apprieciated.

Im looking to get good flex out of the springs but ive recently got hold of some X-Springs for the rear which will give me some extra articulation so am i right in saying that i could go for some stiffer spring to give me better on road handling?

Cheers

Tris

Tris, you do need to know what you want, the calc will then help you assess various springs to see how they meet your needs.

Simplest is just ride hieght, dial in different springs to compare changes in lift (front and rear). After that it is about how balanced you want the truck to be, my gioal was for both front a rear srpings to work equally to absorbe changes in terrain. Juts making the rear articulate and do all the work is easy.

After that is is down to how soft you want/are prepared for. The x-springs are great letting you get good travel with springs that will give good road performance but with stiffer 'road' spings you'll be hard pressed to get any spring to fully compress when cross axled which to my mind equates to loss of travel (upwards) and will also mean the truck is less able to settle into the terrain.

So working on approximations i'll call the front 945KGs and the rear 935KGs (taking off 175KGs at the front and 125KGs at the rear)

Im looking for a ride height of about +2.5" on the front and about +3" the on the back. The spring that ive got on there at the moment are unknowns really as there for +2" Lift kit which i susspect were off a discovery and have probably sagged being scorpion racing springs.

I agreeing with what Trev is saying about the loss of upwards travel with hard springs hense im after some middle of the road springs (not too hard to give me no upwards travel, but at the same time not super soft as i'll be towing the boat and other various trailers around)

Cheers for all the advice so far, what is the next step from here?

Given how well balanced your truck a set of NRC4304 red/white all round would be a good starting point. Should get you a two inch lift, bit more at the back and would articulate nicely.

could this be done with a disco?

im unsure of the exact weights but the overall unladen weight is 2.1 tonnes, add a bit more each end for my bodgings, 2.18 tonnes probably whats the weight distribution on a standard disco anyone know? im researching on it, probably a little heavier towards the front not by much though. thanks

mikey

49% front 51% rear of 2180=

0.49 times 2180 = 1068.2 kg

0.51 times 2180 = 1111.8 kg

any help on that guys? ot confuzes me, im running standard 1991 disco springs atm, no idea what colours or specification, just factory fitted.

mikey