Identifying a Series Gearbox?

Phill B

The Gearbox in my 1980 109 has a filler cap on the top held in place by a springy steel thing.

95117637 B

I just bought one off eblag for 99p (seriously), but it has a small metal plate/plug where my filler cap would be.

The serial is on a plate on the bell housing and showing as a rebuilt unit.

ea30_1.jpg

But the Bell housing is off a Series 2 as it has the opening at the side for the clutch.

So is it a Suffix D? If so, what Suffix is the one fitted to my 109

Gbox.jpg

Heavily modified Series body, RRC chassis, 5.3 V12 engine.......its like nothing on earth....projected speed = 156mph...........Project "why the hell did i start this" coming soon!.

Sorry thread hijack!

Sounds an interesting project, is there a build thread for it or any more info? What tranny are you planning on using?

I've just dismantled a gearbox with the same mark on it and mine was a real Series 11a Suffix F box - with no synchro on 1st and second. As Series 11 boxes go its supposed to be as strong as they come which no doubt explains why the layshaft had snapped.

No, no serial anywhere on any face. Odd.

So really this box is useless to me if its that old.

The advice I had from the Series 2 Club Forum is that ALL Factory Reconditioned boxes have the original number ground out by the factory, as they were rebuilt to whatever was the current (latest) specification.

I can't comment on the age of the reconditioning (IE when it was done), I'm just explaining the 'lost' serial number.

HTH

The advice I had from the Series 2 Club Forum is that ALL Factory Reconditioned boxes have the original number ground out by the factory, as they were rebuilt to whatever was the current (latest) specification.

I can't comment on the age of the reconditioning (IE when it was done), I'm just explaining the 'lost' serial number.

HTH

That's interesting and would explain the lack of any ID at all. I was beginning to thing I had the first ever LR gearbox :blink:

So what about the serial 600917? Werent all Suffix D boxes 600XXX?

So what about the serial 600917? Weren't all Suffix D boxes 600XXX?

Don't know. You will have to ask in the S2C Forum yourself - if no-one else here knows.

The main S2C Forum is open to non-members.

You can add pictures to your posts there.

Just to state the bleedin' obvious; don't totally forget that if the bell housing is a separate item to the box, it's possible that the bell housing you have wasn't originally associated with the gearbox.

HTH