12 seat defender

Its not just an age thng its how long the licence has been held.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Drive...ions/DG_4022498

There is a section on driving 'minibuses' on car licence http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Drive...ions/DG_4022619

Your mate should ring DVLA and get advice straight from them as opposed to this forum to cover himself (I dont think Lr4x4 is form of legislation yet ) :P

• 2 weeks later...
It depends if he intends to use all 12 seats.

My 110 had 11 seats when I bought it but now has only 5, and I have updated the V5 to match so that I can drive it legally.

You can't just say that you won;t use the seats though - you would have to re-classify it as you have done. I had this problem with my mums 110 when i was under 21 - i couldn;t drive it and thats on an older style licence (passed 1996 before the theory test etc came in). I just had to wait until i was 21.

In Short................

NO!

The 12 seat Defender will be classed as one on the V5, this would mean he would need to have a D1 entitlement on his licence (not necessarily PCV, unless he wants to use it for hire or reward) if he passed his test in 2001 he will not have that and will have to sit a separate D1 test, as has everyone who passed their test after 1996.

Basically his options are;

1. Sit his D1 test

2. Buy the vehicle and make it no more than a 9 seater and get it reclassified, until then though, someone else with a D1 entitlement will have to drive it around for him.

Something else to bear in mind, if he buys a Land Rover, or if he has one already and this is another one. If he passed his test in 2001, he will also have to sit another test in order to tow trailers (E entitlement on your licence), not the silly dinky ones, but the bigger kind you might want to be towing with a Land Rover or a caravan, if it's unladen weight is over 750kg.

rather than reading incorrect information on a forum, read it straight off the goverment website here (this link has already been posted above....)

The section on exemptions linked above provides useful information, some of which is contrary to the information in the previous posts.