Is this all I need to fit a Disco II prop

I want to fit a Double Cardan prop to the front of my 90, the Disco II version is a lot cheaper than buying one for a Defender, I have in my mind somewhere that the DII prop is a lot shorter than what is needed for a Defender, can I just use the adapter on the link below or do I need a spacer on the axle end also.

I am running a 200TDi and LT77 / LT230 set up.

LINK

Mark.

i have been running a wide angle gwyn lewis front prop shaft on my lifted 110, and were before i could put ujs/ a new standard prop on and have it last a week :o before snapping this seems to be doing very well, i wold happily recommend!

dan B)

Hi Ralph,

Something is not right, I changed the UJ's about 10 months ago, but after I did I got a vibration when coming to a slow stop, I have just changed the prop for a spare one I had as the old one had play in to shaft it has new UJ's and now I get this vibration again so I can only guess it is the prop, it does seem short anyhow as some of the spline is showing so need a solution really, of course if I could save a few pounds it would be better.

I will have a look at gywns props.

not sure of the fully retracted lengths but I'm wondering if you have a Series prop or a rear prop or the front prop has lost one of it's spotwelded on balance weights, these are rectauguler or square small plates on the outside of the proptube.

Mark, my 110 is slightly lifted I reckon about 1.5 to 2 inches, I'm still using the standard props with no problems. Save your cash for something else.

Ralph is does happen. When I fitted the Devon 4x4 Challenge springs (about 2" lift) I had terrible vibrations from the front prop. I didn't want the hassle of putting in a DC prop and didn't need the lift so I dropped down to 1" lift. This is on a TD5 though.

Steve

I want to fit a Double Cardan prop to the front of my 90, the Disco II version is a lot cheaper than buying one for a Defender, I have in my mind somewhere that the DII prop is a lot shorter than what is needed for a Defender, can I just use the adapter on the link below or do I need a spacer on the axle end also.

I am running a 200TDi and LT77 / LT230 set up.

LINK

Mark.

You are correct, the Disco II prop (and 300tdi/TD5 Defender prop) are both substantially shorter than the 200tdi Defender prop (by about 40mm). You will need a spacer. Have a look here:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...l=double+cardan

Paul

Hiya Pauly !

Where have you been hiding ?

are the D2 uni's still holding up OK on that shaft ?

Apparently Hardy Spicer now have a greasable assembly to replace the OE double cardan joint, but I'm unsure of the $ ATM.

The t/case end uni will need replacing soon on mine so I'm thinking either a TD5 wide angle one or the double cardan shaft to replace it.

Hi Ralph,

Something is not right, I changed the UJ's about 10 months ago, but after I did I got a vibration when coming to a slow stop, I have just changed the prop for a spare one I had as the old one had play in to shaft it has new UJ's and now I get this vibration again so I can only guess it is the prop, it does seem short anyhow as some of the spline is showing so need a solution really, of course if I could save a few pounds it would be better.

I will have a look at gywns props.

dont suppose you fitted castor correction bushes or castor corrected front arms when you fitted the lift springs?

If so, thats the problem.

and yes you should be able to see a small amount of the splines. Or should i say - i can see some splines on my standard 300tdi front prop with a 2" lift.

dont suppose you fitted castor correction bushes or castor corrected front arms when you fitted the lift springs?

If so, thats the problem.

Nope, it self centres really well, probably better than when it was on standard County soft springs.