Defender Security

Guys, I’m sure that this has been asked a dozen times but have had a search and can’t seem to find exactly what I am looking for.

As most people on this forum I have spent a lot of time effort and money “improving” my 110, but no money on improving the security so that I can hang onto my work, although insured I know that I would never get back the “true value” if she was to be liberated by some toe rag. Therefore I ask the following:

• What do you recommend?

• Has anyone had an “attempt” on their beloved that was thwarted by a device?

• Has anyone had a bad experience? Something added made their vehicle unreliable or prevented them from driving it away.

Legal recommendations only, no flame throwers!! :ph34r:

Considered fitting a tracker but apart from getting back a right off not sure how much value they add Vs their cost.

Cheers, Jason.

The best one would be a Mechlok on the clutch (or brake but read their site on the legality of this), a battery disconnect switch (or two) , and something like the Overland Hardware locks and hasps for when you're away from the vehicle. Sadly the first two don't discourage someone breaking into the vehicle, just prevent it from leaving once they do. The locks are obvious and might discourage someone and the Overland Hardware design isn't going to catch on things and looks stylish vs the other ones you'll see out there.

I've definitely read a good few threads on this, try searching under different terms...

I've done a quick search under 'security' in the Defender Forum - and these came up on the first page:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...amp;hl=security

On your TD5 110 do you have the alarm & immobiliser activated? If not you can do this.

Also move the horn from the nearside front wing to somewhere harder to locate and cut the wires. Fit locks to your battery and ECU boxes. Move the ODBII connector into a lockable cubby box, battery box etc, anywhere that it is hard to get too.

Then look at circuit diagrams and find a way (or a couple) to isolate some electrics to prevent it from starting. I won't go into details, but on a TD5 it's fairly easy to add some immobilisation in that's hard to track down and correct for any would be thief.

As above MeckLock from MudStuff is good. Also ClutchClaw and Full Metal Jacket act as visual and time delay deterrents.

Trackers are a waste of time on defenders as they are all too easy to locate and disable. Also a GPS and radio jammers are readily available.

Steve

Thanks Guys, yes my 110 does have the factory fitted alarm/immobiliser that when it does go off is very loud and certainly gets me and the neighbour out of bed. I am just worried that it won’t go off, good idea about moving the alarm siren. Thought about locking the battery box but thought that if people saw the lock they would think there was something in there and break in to have a look!! Also thought that if people were

Have had the dash apart more times than I care to remember so know where I could fit some kill switches however always worried that these will add a risk of failure and further fault finding.

I have a battery isolator fitted but whilst these would fox some idiots didn’t think it would prevent the professional land rover thieves that seem to be around at the moment.

I saw the clutch thing in a landy magazine but again would not prevent it being towed away.

I also write the reg in UV pen on everything that I take to bits so if it was ever broken for spares they might get caught looked at some smart water but again not sure of the value against a UV pen.

Hence intrested if anyone had thwated an atempt and if so with what, i was looking at the clutch claw again woundered about use dont want to be stuck in the middle of no where and can't open it because it has got mud in it.

Hi im afraid i do not have any answers to this but whilst you are talking about theft of land Rovers A Growing trend seems to be using a hiab truck and then just picking land rovers up it very quick and overcomes initial security devices, possibly a heft chain and something solid on the over end of it!!

i think a wired up bomb is best at least the b.......... would get more than they thought iv trained my dog and have a shotgun .

Last time I looked straping a bomb to my defender was neither legal or a good idea as it's not a snatch LR or have the new armor plate!!! :P

dog and gun idea is cool but the dog is afraid of the dark!! and was looking for something a little more portable as will be going overland in the summer

However thanks for the advice any other ways of to stop my sleepless nights chaining it to a couple of big concrete blocks in the driveway is a good idea, might end up with a Hiab for my trouble :P

Cheers, Jason.

Mountney removable steering wheel looks a good idea. I was looking at those online last night.

Anyone got one?

Ade

look like a good idea do you know what part number I would need to fit a Defender?

i think a wired up bomb is best at least the b.......... would get more than they thought iv trained my dog and have a shotgun .

:huh: A big chunk of meat into the truck and the dog is off to be friendly and wiggling his tail all over!! ;)

hi there,

ive fitted, along with some other items, a Cobra alarm system. I have found this to be invaluable at keeping the local pikies, i mean less afluent people at bay.

I have also Accedently let it go off a few times at home and when im out and about, so if anyone is watching me pull up, they will know it has an alarm

I am also just about to black out all the rear windows so those said less afluent types cannot see all my offroading gear and tools!

cheers

Neil

Large metal hoop cemented into ground, large chain through hoop and Xmember PTO, won't be picking that up in a hurry. Unfortunatly the council will take a dim view of you doing this everytime you park :P

I'm starting to think about the same sort of issues with my Series3 V8, kill switches for pump / coil and a battery isolator is probably going to be my starting point.

I had my Disco broken into at the weekend, they took my CB and CD player, but not a lot else..

I've got a disc-lock, and CAT 1 immobiliser so it should be fairly difficult to drive away.

Has anyone had any experience of stick-on security window film? I'm thinking i might do the windows as at least it'll make them slightly harder to get through/ break....

Only issue with the window film is that if they want to get in, they may try other things - if they cant break the window, they'll either try to gouge the lock out and damage the door, or try to bend the door frame over, also causing far more damage than the broken window. might stop the opportunist, but the slightly more determined ones will do something else to get in :(

hi there,

ive fitted, along with some other items, a Cobra alarm system. I have found this to be invaluable at keeping the local pikies, i mean less afluent people at bay.

I have also Accedently let it go off a few times at home and when im out and about, so if anyone is watching me pull up, they will know it has an alarm

I am also just about to black out all the rear windows so those said less afluent types cannot see all my offroading gear and tools!

cheers

Neil

Hi Neil,

I have my windows blacked out really easy job to do apart from the safari ones, is difficult to see in but also going for grills and dog guard when the funds become available, however that is what started me down this track as I would be adding more things didn't want to just add more items to someones stand at the autojumble!! :P

Cheers, Jason.

post-15513-1237308696.jpg

[quote name=

Has anyone had any experience of stick-on security window film? I'm thinking i might do the windows as at least it'll make them slightly harder to get through/ break....

I did my defender, really easy apart from the safari windows which were a pain!