diy window tinting

titan

I done this a few times on the Toy"cough"ota and once you get the hang of it, It is easy main thing is Always Always keep it clean and clear, Best place to do it is over the kitchen sink! Thats if you can get that far in the house with a window!!!

As cipx2 said You tube is a good place to have a look

Good luck .....JJ

I done this a few times on the Toy"cough"ota and once you get the hang of it, It is easy main thing is Always Always keep it clean and clear, Best place to do it is over the kitchen sink! Thats if you can get that far in the house with a window!!!

As cipx2 said You tube is a good place to have a look

Good luck .....JJ

Straight forward enough job as long as you use good quality film. Did my own 300

the only awkward one was the back door glass with the heater element and connections.

i'm also after getting this done.just found a guy on fleabay who sells laser cut ones.Just sent him an email to ask how much for mine to get cut.(got a td5 7 seater discovery).I have heard that DIY kits are a bag of shi*e so i am sort of put off by it, but the price is a hell of a lot cheaper then getting it done by a "pro".

Shaun

We did our Td5. Cut each piece roughly to shape. Then used plently of soapy water in spray bottle. Found it easier with two people, although it will test any relationship/friendship. We used the same make Halford's sell, but found it half the price, Eclipse Defender or something like that. Worked out about £2 a window. Wife said our job would do for a year or two. Been on six years and is just as good. Cleanliness is the key. One tip if your windows are older, use soapy water and a stanley knife blade to clean the inside of the glass, careful on the back window. It is better once the film has dried and when assessing your work stand 6'-8' back.

ok i been looking about and think this is will be cheaper if i buy the film and do it my self done loads of fabloning in the past but how easy is this to do

cheers in advance

shane

Western is right, you must still have good visibility or you could get pulled. Even factory fitted tint can upset the boys in blue, who apparently have some sort of meter to test light transmission.

As for practicality, think about reversing; if you have pets and/or small children, be sure they are replaceable!

Silverbake.

I think the Visible light transmission (VLT) is only an issue on front door windows/windscreen, as far as I know you can go as dark as you like behind the B pillar...

I Tinted the rear load space windows in my disco, its not difficult, but easier with two people, and as others have said, clean, clean then clean again...

I have done it a few times now...

...one tip... as you seperate the film from the backing, spray it with solution.. as if the film sticks to itself it is game over...

and a Word of warning.. the difference with the film is that the DIY stuff goes blueish over time... the professional stuff doesn't.

I when I say professional, i don't mean Ebay 'professional' I mean the £300 install...

The last Sh@*un I did, I managed it with only a couple of bubbles... and had to scrap a couple of cut sheets...this worries me with the pre-cut stuff as you only get one go...

B pillar back is safe... and I know that a certain local police force have a light tint on their traffic car front windows!!!

Hope this helps a little!

M

I've tinted many cars with different makes of film.

I found that the cheep pre-cut kits use really thin film which gives a poor finish, but the rolls of film seem to be the thicker film which is much easier to work with and gives a better finish.

I'm going to be tinting my disco soon and i'm going to be getting mine from Clicky

Well i have rung a couple of firms and would you believe i was talking to my neighbour who told me who he has used before so i called them up and i got quoted £150 all fitted...... (with a 10 year guarantee) booked in for monday.Not getting the front windows done, just the middle and back(7 seater td5 discovery).

a chuffed shaun :D