No drive after fitting a new engine......!

Hi All,

Just finished converting my 2,5 NA to a (ex-Disco) 200 TDI.

I kept the 200 TDI flywheel and the original gearbox.

Guess what ? there’s no drive at all !! :angry:

I can just about get the car moving in First gear low box, but there is no drive in all the other gears, let alone high box.

There’s no crunching and the clutch feels like it should.

I left the clutch-cilinders in place.

There’s is also no problem changing gears.

Feels like the clutch is slipping for 99%........

What have I done wrong ????

Could it be that I fitted the clutchplate the wrong way…?

I’m really scratching my head here ! :(

Yup, frictionplate with wrong side out...

Thanks Lars for your reply ! ;)

Would love it though when someone on this forum would strongly disagree with Lars and my personal fears........ :huh:

Please let someone tell me that I don't have to take out the gearbox :o

I know it cannot be but I would check it anyway, the high/low is in one or the other.

Yep, checked that.

In High box there's virtually no drive at all, just enough to get it moving about half an inch, after that I can rev the engine until morning comes, but no go... :blink:

I can however take up some speed in first low box but there's not even enough drive to get it over a brick or whatever.....

I had to ask my mate to give me a push back into the workshop.

Unbolt the clutch slave and then test to see if the clutch is permanently engaged. If it is, then it's not the plate (it'll be wrecked if you did put it in the wrong way round).

Les.

Hi Les,

I took the slave out and all seems to be fine there.

The pin connected to the clutchfork seems to move OK back and forwards and the piston in the slave certainly isn't stuck in the "out"position.

The strange thing is that I do now have just a wee bit more drive in High box, compared to yesterday.

It's still far from perfect but I was able to move the car a few meters.....until I had to overcome a bump in the workshops floor.....

Could a broken clutch plate (cracked center...) have this effect ?

I would imagine that a cracked plate will leave the car with no drive at all, just a lot of horrible noise... :(

Thanks !

Did you check to see if the clutch was fully engaged while you had the slave off (1st high and turn the key). Unplug the fuel cut-off switch or be prepared to jump on the brakes :)

If the clutch was obviously ok, then clamp the clutch flexi pipe and then press the pedal. If it's solid, then the master is working ok, and the problem will then be either the flexi pipe itself, the slave, the operating rod, or perhaps the clutch fork/thrust bearing.

Are the slave/master new items?

Les.

Did you check to see if the clutch was fully engaged while you had the slave off (1st high and turn the key). Unplug the fuel cut-off switch or be prepared to jump on the brakes :)

If the clutch was obviously ok, then clamp the clutch flexi pipe and then press the pedal. If it's solid, then the master is working ok, and the problem will then be either the flexi pipe itself, the slave, the operating rod, or perhaps the clutch fork/thrust bearing.

Are the slave/master new items?

Les.

Les,

No didn't check the slave your way.... :unsure: (although my mate told me so..)

But what I did do, was adjustment of the master cylinder the official way (pedal 140mm from floor, check play in cylinder-rod etc. etc.)

After that the clutch felt better, still far from perfect but at least I was able to drive the car out of the workshop under it's own steam.

So I do suspect a problem in Slave and/or Master cylinder (fluid not flowing back and keeping clutch pushed in)

I have order new cylinders and will be fitting them in a few day's time.

Will let you know how it goes after that !

Edwin

hi

i would also change the rubber pipe as it breaks down inside prevent fluid getting back from the slave cylinder

HTH

matt

Yep, ordered that also !

By the way, I had to pull the rubber hose out of the way in order to get the engine in................makes you wonder.... :blink:

• 3 weeks later...