disco 300 tdi or p38 dse??

maxtherotti

hi all i have my 98 disco 300 tdi manual and very nice it is too but...........

i miss my range rovers :(

so im thinking of chopping this in against either a rrc 300 tdi auto (would have to be minty tho) or a p38.

my question is is this wise?

i need a good reilable car (yes i have heard the horror stories but can they really be THAT bad??) p38 diesel auto (lots of towing so auto is defo preferred)

would i be best to just say sod it and keep the disco (having spent over 1300 on it in the last 2 months with clutch/tyres/servicing) and its a good one or will going back to range rovers be the way forward??

and what would my disco be worth against a p38?? (99k with fsh es premium 7 seat with rear air con etc etc)

thanks rob

post-12058-1237393128_thumb.jpg

post-12058-1237393139_thumb.jpg

post-12058-1237393149_thumb.jpg

post-12058-1237393171_thumb.jpg

Sadly I doubt your Disco is worth as much as you hope it would be at the moment... I think I'd keep it as you might not even recover what you've recently shelled out on it...

:(

Long term the disco will be cheaper to maintain, and might even retain more value than a knackered P38.

you might not even recover what you've recently shelled out on it...

im sure (well ok hope) its worth more than that :blink:

old n reg ones on flea bay are fetching 1300 with 150k on the clock :unsure:

that said if i keep the disco i wont be upset i just prefer range rovers (in fact the classic with a 300tdi and auto would be my first choice)

rob

have you driven a 300tdi auto?pulling away from a junction they are hideous,i have just sold one,towed my ifor williams plant trailer fully laden,bloody awful,i would stick with what you have,buying a p38 is a lottery,diesel auto,s are too quick either.(if you want power buy a toyota landcruiser,best towing vehicle i have ever had,used to tow a rally car all over europe with one.)

have you driven a 300tdi auto?pulling away from a junction they are hideous,i have just sold one,towed my ifor williams plant trailer fully laden,bloody awful,i would stick with what you have,buying a p38 is a lottery,diesel auto,s are too quick either.(if you want power buy a toyota landcruiser,best towing vehicle i have ever had,used to tow a rally car all over europe with one.)

^^yes.. all true!!

and what is with the kick down on the autos?? just makes it feel like the clutch is slipping and you could have a brew and a kitkat before it goes any faster!!

For the last few years I mostly drive and tow with a P38a diesel manual. I also occasionally drive a mate's 300Tdi disco, and must say the difference is huge! The level of comfort in the Range is miles ahead, let's you cruise all day without tyring. Granted, the diesel doesn't have too much grunt, but is fine for cruising if you give it some time to get upt to speed. I don't like the autobox, sure, it might be easier to start off with a trailer, but overall I lack control (I'm comparing with a P38a 4.6V8 auto, although vastly more powerfull it seems the power is to far away most of the time and the autobox is prone to hunting while towing).

As a reference, our DT now has 353000km and no problems apart from wear and tear (and a little accident in a fast corner...).

I haven't used a Disco for towing yet, but compared to an RRC the added length, bulk and mostly the EAS of a P38a does provide a more relaxing ride.

thats what i was trying to get at in the o/p

the range rover does have much more comfort for all day towing and eas would be a bonus for towing too.

but as it seems my disco is worth about 17pence looks like ill be keeping the disco

not that i mind as its a minty one and has all the kit on it (except cruise contol)

have towed my van a short distance with the disco and it towed very well so im not thinking a p38 will be leaps and bounds better for just towing tho

rob

thats what i was trying to get at in the o/p

the range rover does have much more comfort for all day towing and eas would be a bonus for towing too.

but as it seems my disco is worth about 17pence looks like ill be keeping the disco

not that i mind as its a minty one and has all the kit on it (except cruise contol)

have towed my van a short distance with the disco and it towed very well so im not thinking a p38 will be leaps and bounds better for just towing tho

rob

I'll give you 18pence and consider it sold! ;)

and what is with the kick down on the autos?? just makes it feel like the clutch is slipping and you could have a brew and a kitkat before it goes any faster!!

A properly adjusted kickdown should make something relatively nippy compared to normal driving. It seems a lot of autos have not had their kickdown adjusted since leaving the dealership... so some take an age to kickdown while others are instantaneous. Having a powerful engine tends to help too. :ph34r: