keeping it legal... whats needed

gelf

basicly do you need to have a front bumper and a windscreen to be legal............ just looking at possibly doing a build and being able to keep on the road legaly?

the chassis is not being touched, apart from adding a cage/space frame, engine gbox and axles still all the originals.

basicly do you need to have a front bumper and a windscreen to be legal............ just looking at possibly doing a build and being able to keep on the road legaly?

the chassis is not being touched, apart from adding a cage/space frame, engine gbox and axles still all the originals.

I don't think you need a windscreen but I think you do need a bumper.

If you don't have a windscreen I think you are require to wear goggles or a helmet. I could be totally wrong though, it was years ago when I looked into this a little bit.

You don't need a screen, goggles etc. but it is not going to be comfortable and you stand a good chance of being taken out by a pebble or blackbird. The kitcar guys have taken to using the rather fancy tinted or mirrored safety glasses which are surprisingly cheap from places like Screwfix.

You don't have to have a bumper but anything left sticking out the front should have a radius of 2.5mm.

Steve

I wouldn't fancy being without windscreen but if it floats your boat....

I drove a S1 with no screen or doors (or seat belts) for a week about ten years ago on a 15 mile motorway commute. Wasn't fun especially as it was winter. I was working on it at the time and my regular commuting car broke down so I used it. I didn't get any interest from the police, work just tutted at me.

No Windscreen needed, look at the track day Lotus Seven copies.

If you have a windscreen you must have wipers and washers, no windscreen no wipers and washers. This also applies when the windscreen is folded flat. Some people have got around faulty washers and wipers in an MOT by folding the screen flat and the problem goes away.

As for the goggles and helmet pure fantasy sorry.

Don't know about a bumper but my Series 1 has not had one for 25 years and passes an MOT every time and has never been stopped by the law. It does however have a piece of box welded between the dumb irons like a bumper so that might do it legally?

Marc.

You don't need a screen or a bumper. Whether you have a bumper or not, you mustn't have any nasty sharp bits.

Folding the screen down on my S1 increases the top speed by about 10mph and the fuel consumption improves too. I don't tend to drive with it down at night as the headlights attract flying insects. I got a stag beetle in the face once and it nearly knocked me out of my seat.

The last comment 'nasty sharp bits' is what I'm referring to.

The construction and use regulations apply (and are what SVA are checking compliance against) and require that there be no sharp edges so that you don't do any more harm to a pedestrian than would otherwise be the case.

Steve

As others have said, there's no need for a windscreen. A mate had a Caterham without one and it was a lot of fun but you want to wear sunglasses all the time and a helmet full face helmet for anything over 30mph. Great fun but no use in anything but nice, dry weather.

I wouldn't fancy being without windscreen but if it floats your boat....

Bikers manage?

I drove a S1 with no screen or doors (or seat belts) for a week about ten years ago on a 15 mile motorway commute.

Yeah, I had a S2a diesel that was almost that slow. :P

Chris

Bikers manage?

I wasn't a biker then and didn't have a helmet. If I was out without a windscreen or doors now I would have a helmet on and probably my leathers to keep the cold out! :P

Yeah, I had a S2a diesel that was almost that slow. :P

Chris

Haha! It was a two wheel drive S1 that had a modified MGB engine and gearbox in. 100+bhp and it did 90mph before my bottle went! :huh::blink::huh::P

Having had an owl hit my windscreen at 70mph i don't think I'd want to be on the road without a screen... if it had hit me in the face god only knows what damage it would have done...

I've also had a house brink smash my windscreen after it flew out from between the twin rear tyres on the HGV I was following..

I think I'd use a 'quick release' windscreen or keep it and fold it flat...