Axle casing plug

martyn668

Hi all,

I recently got a Mantec wading kit for my Defender 90 Td5. During fitting, I broke both the original plastic plugs/fittings that are in the

axle casings. Mantec's instructions of "squeeze the plastic washer" simply resulted in this item of hard, brittle plastic breaking. I cannot see

how I could have not broken them, given their fragility (2001 MY Defender by the way, maybe some years have different fittings), despite

my squeezing as gently as I could from various directions. Anyone else managed it?

They are probably worth about 5p each, but with one now missing, and the other one glued together, the breathers are now less waterproof than before. I don't understand why Mantec's kit does not include 2 spares. Such an expensive kit could afford to include 2 x 5p plastic plugs. I've asked Mantec for plugs or part numbers, but although quick to reply, they haven't been much help - just saying it's not part of the kit (I knew that!)

Anyone know the part number, so I can contact my local LR dealer. I bet it doesn't come as a separate item, and I end up forking out for a whole load of parts I don't need.

Attached is a sketch.

It must just be me, as otherwise Mantec would have had lots of complaints, and would have recognised this, but they seem so small and brittle, I can't imagine how they won't break if interfered with.

Thanks in advance

Martyn

post-2245-1238585041_thumb.jpg

cant help with that perticular part , but try landrover they are supprising cheap for some parts (and very expensive for others)

most people just bin the standard fitting and fit a 1/8bsp-6mm push in presto fitting or similar

most people just bin the standard fitting and fit a 1/8bsp-6mm push in presto fitting or similar

That sounds interesting - If I walk into a plumbers(?) and ask for a presto fitting will they look at me as if I'm from another planet? What is it? It sounds like a plumbing thing. Or is it more of a gas thing? My brother in law is a gas man, so he'd have all the trade contacts.

Cheers

nope they are mainly pneumatics fittings, I had very good and fast service from here http://www.technobots.co.uk/acatalog/Onlin...matics_127.html

you need 1/8th BSP for the breathers and 6mm nylon pipe is plenty big enough. Most people run all the pipes to a manifold somewhere on the bulkhead then a single larger 8mm pipe up to the top of the snorkel, probably cost you as much as £10!

Mike

They all look yummy, and I can see how they would be a lot more easily interchanged than the existing set-up? However, do I need to tap a thread in the axle casing? Do half the turnings end up in the oil in the axle? (Need a flush afterwards).

do I need to tap a thread in the axle casing? Do half the turnings end up in the oil in the axle? (Need a flush afterwards).

you shouldnt need to tap the axel at all im not fully up on 2001 model axels but since nothing has changed too much in 30 odd years i recon it will still be a 1/8 bsp thread allready in the axel

Thanks for all this help, mike and gsr.

Does anyone have microcat, so they can post up a picture of the axle casing where the breather pipe goes in? I did have it on my PC, then it stopped working, so I need to re-install it, but I'm travelling abroad at the moment, so I can't.

Thanks again.

Just spoken to my local LR dealer - Marshall LR of Cambridge, guy there called Chris. He couldn't find the part, but kept looking. It was filed as a brake breather (interesting concept), but when he opened it up, it is labeled as an axle breather washer. Good news is that you can buy them separately. The even better news is that they are the grand sum of 18p + VAT each. The bad news is they come in bags of 20, and I have to buy a whole bag, but I'm sure I can afford £4.00!

I shall fit these now, and then look at all those bling pneumatic fittings people have suggested later.

Thanks all.

• 2 months later...

Just to complete the story, it would appear Td5 axle casings are different from all the helpful stuff people posted about BSP fittings, etc. (or at least mine is). They are a push-in part (number FTC5085), and cost £1.77 + VAT each, and are sold singly. They just push into the axle casing (no threads), and have a lip which clicks into place. They are brass, and have a plastic insert like the one I posted a picture of inside. When you push in the breather tube, it catches inside, and when you try to pull it out, the action causes the plastic thingummy to grip it even tighter.

Thanks again though to all.

• 4 weeks later...
To answer my own question, the axles are parallel thread. :)

so BSPP (British Standard Pipe Parallel) rather than BSPT (British Standard Pipe Taper).

Note that a male BSPT will screw into a BSPP hole, but a BSPP male won't screw into a BSPT hole. I thank you :P