rolling chassis

mobyone

hi guys, i have a disco as a donor for pretty much everything, and i love the idea of a tax exempt toy that i can use every day.

so i posted a wanted add for a chassis, but need to know what i need to keep from my manual disco 1 300tdi, indeed what will/can fit to a series chassis.

and sorry guys, i want a seriesIII/defender(esque) toy too.

so be brutal with your opinions if you like, but also give those pearls of advice/info.

the questions...

1.can i fit disco running gear to a series chassis

2.do i need to alter any panels/b/heads.

3.who has any panels...

4.have i chosen a hard route, perhaps there is an easier way to get my defender (esque) toy. let me know

5.will challenge stuff (front wings etc) fit a series chassis

6.what is the difference in series chassis', can i use any of them and fit sIII.defender body/panels to them

7. how much is it likely to cost to get the parts i dont have ( i have nothing except the disco!)

8.how long is it likely to take to build (in hours or evenings) and do this.

i am very mechanically minded, but i am not above asking advice which saves both time and money either. and i have not really any experience with landy's other than owning a v8 rrc and a disco.

...and i will be puting this in defender forum too. sorry to not be a purist,and sorry to the moderators to have to read this twice.

thanks guys and girls for taking the time to read this, and for your help or obligatory taunts i will no doubt get.

Important question is whether or not you would be staying with the leaf springs. If you are, then you need to modify the Discovery axles to accept the leaf springs as well as alter the steering setup on the axle. If you are converting to coil springs, then you will be looking towards an SVA (i.e. Q plate) with all the additional alterations you will be making.

See for more here.

deffo swap 'em out for real suspension, lol. why would i keep the leafs, i only ask as i believe them to be in the way as it were for full articulation in the many deep holes i will get into. you show me a good example of keeping them, and i will.

regards

The cheapest way to get a Defender-esque toy is to buy a defender - no doubt about it.

What you are proposing is a lot of work,and only worth it if you are dead set on a series looking vehicle,even then,there are arguably better ways of going about it.

You could buy a scruffy old pre tdi defender,put your engine and axles in/on it and have decent off-roader without much expense or time spent.Fit a series rad grill,windscreen and roof if you like.

Or shorten your disco chassis.

Or lengthen some series body work to fit the disco chassis.

Building a vehicle will cost a lot more time and money than you expect.

I fitted a 300tdi to my series 2.Then I fitted a defender 5 speed box.Later I fitted disco axles to it - so I know just what you are thinking about.It was a hell of a lot of work,and eventually I grew dissatisfied with it.

Much as I tried to love them,Landrover leaf springs are terrible.

I am currently building a series looking vehicle from scratch on a 100" range rover chassis.

Dont let me discouage you at all.I love being in the workshop creating something.But if you really just want to get out and use it,then let someone else do the hard work,and buy a 'ready to go' truck.

Almost anything can be made to work,and the chances are that anything you can think of has been tried by someone on here - so keep asking the questions.

Best of luck, Jerry.

well fitting lengthened bodywork sounds good, even if i have to pay tax still.

apart from lengthening the bodywork, i understood the rest.lol

what bodywork do i extend. the rear tub, or the cab part (not sure what you call it).

i sound so lame, but really, i can do most things with cars, i just know next to nothing about the way landy's go together.

i like the fitting stuff to my disco chassis idea most, so any help on the way you do it would be great.

thanks jerry i like you already...

richard

• 3 months later...

I'm in a similar position, I have a 300tdi RRC and have been thinking about putting engine, gearbox, tbox, brakes and diffs into a series. According to DVLA you need 8 points. I'd get 5 for the chassis and body, and 2 for the steering, but would I get 2 for the axles if I change the diffs and brakes? If I fitted parabolics would I still get 2 for the suspension?

Sounds to me like you want to buy a 300tdi 90 and just swallow the road tax (it aint that much).

You'll run into all sorts of SVA fun and games if you coil a series.

Much as I love my series I wouldnt build another one - I'd buy a tdi 90. End of story.

Theres nothing wrong with well set up parabolics. My series on leaves has more suspension travel than the majority of coilers out there. Harshness of ride is subjective. My trucks quite heavy, so its not too bad. I dont personally find my mates 90 is any more comfortable.

Jon

You will need to alter/move the front crossmember forward to fit the PAS box, alter the engine mountings, remove the gearbox crossmember, possibly alter the flywheel housing crossmember, bulkhead will have to be altered where the bellhousing is.

Altering the axles to fit leaf springs is doable (I've just done that)

Mods to the chassis means the IVA test, so you'll lose the tax exempt status.

It would be unique, but major work :)

Les.

Cheers Les,

So even if I kept the series gearbox and transfer box I would lose the tax exempt status because I'd modified the chassis by changing the engine mounts to fit a tdi? I realise that this would also mean I'd be likely to break stuff because of the extra torque of the 300tdi, but basically an engine swap that needs an engine mount moving means that the chassis has been modified so no 5 points for it and therefore probably no tax exempt status?

Cheers Les,

So even if I kept the series gearbox and transfer box I would lose the tax exempt status because I'd modified the chassis by changing the engine mounts to fit a tdi? I realise that this would also mean I'd be likely to break stuff because of the extra torque of the 300tdi, but basically an engine swap that needs an engine mount moving means that the chassis has been modified so no 5 points for it and therefore probably no tax exempt status?

You won't lose tax exempt status or have to get an IVA for just changing engine mounts.

However, you will once you have added new outriggers, chopped the old outriggers off, added a Series rear crossmember etc.

There is only one way to be sure - ring your local DVLA office and ask them. If you like what they tell you, get them to confirm it in writing!

If you really want to keep the tax exempt status and stay legal it will probably be cheaper to upgrade a Series keeping the original chassis frame, suspension, steering and axles (with a disc conversion). It would also take a lot less time and effort to do :)