background reading

Hi.

I am hoping to change the engine in my 90 for a V8 shortly. I have done a search and carnt really find anything on the forum, at the minute im just looking for some reading to help me understand what needs to be done apart from the obvious so I can have everything ready before I start.

So does anyone know of any threads or personal experience they care to share?

Im going from 200 tdi to one of the 4l v8's and manual box

Cheers

Depends what you're defining as obvious really.

fair comment, the more i think off it any advise will be helpful, I havent done this before.

so what engine and box should i be looking to buy? I dont have a problem moving the mounts or fabricating a section to mate with the exhaust.

Is there anything that will attach to my current box or not?

can you make the efi pump work with the current tank or is it as well to change tanks to?

I was hoping someone had done a built thread I could learn some info off but can't seem to find one.

any advice gratefully received

Can't help on the gearbox front - I don't do manuals.

You can run an EFi pump in your existing tank, just make sure your tank has the small "swirl pot"/sump in the bottom (basically just a box at the bottom of teh tank that the pump sits in. Most 90 tanks seem to have these already.

You'll need a decent radiator, I'd recommend one from a 2.5TD or 50th anniversary - the TD one will fit easier though. You'll need to add a T piece in the bottom hose for the expansion tank (use a plastic one from a RRC or 300TDi Defender.

The AFM needs to go behind the engine, above the bell housing. You can either make up some pipe work or get the pipe from a 50th anniversary Defender.

Beyond that it's a case of altering engine mounts, making an exhaust and wiring it up.. in theory at least :) Use the existing transfer/gear box mount positions so your props stay the same length and fit the engine mounts accordingly.

The "300" series disco V8's bellhousing will fit your gearbox, and the TDi and V8 input shafts are the same length, however the input shaft spigot bearing on the TDi is 22mm and the V8 is 19mm.

You may find there is enough room to simply machine out the spigot on the V8 to take the TDi shaft, this will require measuring.

If thats not possible, then your looking at rebuilding your box either to fit the "300" disco v8 input shaft, or some other input shaft setup. I think using the standard defender V8 mounts would require a "short" R380 box, and the parts are relatively hard to come by, hence i'd be looking at the 300series disco parts, and mounting the engine where it ends up.

You could use the disco V8 box, however that would still require some internal work as the selector housings arent the same, and i dont think its possible to swap the selectors streight over. You may have to remove the tailhousing and fit some parts from a defender R380.

ok just been offered a 3.5 v8 and 5 speed box (including ecu's and pumps) out of range rover. The deal is a swop for my 200tdi.

I am hopping that it will mate up with my transfer box so I can keep the original props etc and just stick the new mounts where they need to go.

If at a later date will a bigger V8 mate to the box? any other advice you care to share?

wont the RR box put the gear stick in the middle of the seatbox?

well thats not going to work then...

how have other people done theirs?

i suppose i want to know whats the easiest combonation of box and V8 to install ?

The box is the tricky bit.

I think a defender 300TDi transmission with a >1994 Disco V8 bellhousing should work, barring having to do something with the spigot bearing, and carefully checking the input shaft length.

Failing that, your going to have to strip the R380, and change the input shaft to suit either the aforementioned disco bellhousing or some other housing.

Other option is something like a LT85, but they're ancient things and probably arent very nice to use.

4 speed auto, no need to worry where the gear lever is then :P

Yea I see what your saying, I have no experience with auto boxes I have done a few other engine and box changes. I wouldnt have the faintest idea what to do with the kickdown cable for example, butchering the gearbox tunnel is no bother, what happens with regard to the probs will I be able to get the tbox into the same place or get made-to-measure props.

some might say if i am asking silly questions like this i should not be doing it but got to learn some how

thanks

ok cheers guys a little more research for me to do..

the lt85 looks the cheapest option but what are they like to live with.....

Fridgefreezer's option looks like the best to live with.. was that somthing done to order for you or are they out there somewhere?

looks like my bonus is going to be spent on a new gear box ;) ;) ;)

I wouldnt want a slushbox on the back of a nice V8.

I love my slushbox on the back of my V8 tbh :)

And to answer the questions, yes you can use the same transfer box and mount it in the same position.

Kickdown cable just connects to the throttle linkage, find an auto V8 and nick the bracketry -sorted.

ok cheers guys a little more research for me to do..

the lt85 looks the cheapest option but what are they like to live with.....

Fridgefreezer's option looks like the best to live with.. was that somthing done to order for you or are they out there somewhere?

looks like my bonus is going to be spent on a new gear box ;) ;) ;)

Glad to hear of someone going the diseasel to V8 route despite the government fuel price conspiracy.

Nothing wrong with an LT85, I've used one for years. They're a little more agricultural and noisier than the R380 but they are very strong and take a lot of abuse.

I've just taken mine out to swap for an auto, just because I fancied it. Afraid my old box is already spoken for though, but keep looking, there are a few about.

Beware that the LT85 won't fit under a 200Tdi tunnel, it had it's own more spacious version. The hole in the tunnel is further forward than a Tdi type, so depending on where you take your datums from you may need to fab up your own tunnel.

When I went to carb to EFI in my 90 I used an RRC EFI fuel pump (steel tank type), the fixing holes are exactly the same as the 90 tank. I did however need to lengthen the pickup pipe to reach the bottom of the tank. Not sure what other in tank pump options may exist.

Good luck

Since LR have already done it then it would be a good idea to find someone with a 90/110 V8 and look at the detailed differences, it will certainly help you with the exhaust and the plumbing. If you do buy a V8 engine make sure you get a receipt, better still a copy of the V5 from the donor, apparently they are getting a bit stricter.ace

Hmm thats an interesting one...

Change to engine and cylinder capacity (engine size)

DVLA will need written evidence of any changes to engine number and cylinder capacity (cc). Written evidence can be:

* a receipt for the replacement engine

* written evidence from the manufacturer

* an inspection report provided for insurance purposes

* written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle

I baught my engine via ebay, and i didnt get any form of receipt for it, written evidence from the manufacturer probably wont work, as its not a landrover engine, leaving the last two. What exactly is an inspection report for insurance purposes? I suppose the last one would be easiest to get, however that wouldnt really apply as the conversion didnt take place before i baught it...

Feckin Beurocracy!

I did my 110 from 2.5 with LT77 to 3.5 with LT85. This came from a 110, object being to keep things 'standard'. The donor went the other way to 300tdi.

Fuel tank. You'll need an 'in tank' petrol pump, obviously.

LT85. Not nice. May be just mine but it wines, whurrs and is a general pig to get into low gears. Fortunately it'll pull from nowhere so you don't need them.

If you use V8 gear box mountings they are same in chassis but put box in different place so propshafts aren't same. This plus longer bell housing puts engine mounts about 4" further forward.

You'll need this 4" 'cos it still feels 'light' at front end after removing cast iron lump.

Wiring. The engine harness plugs straight into bulkhead harness. You can use glow plug wire to make washing line.

The starter on a V8 is on right so longer battery cable needed.

Radiator? Don't know about diesels with all that intercooler stuff but the only difference with a V8 and 2.5 petrol (and diesel) is that the V8 has two tappings, one for the header tank and one to the inlet manifold. Many aftermarket radiators have both, so shouldn't' be hard to come across.

Fan? 'Cos I went for 'standard' I could have used standard fan. But Kenlows came as part of the package so I used them.

Fuel. If your planning regular use and your name doesn't begin with 'Sheik' I'd go for LPG.

Tunnel. Don't know about 380 tunnels but LT77 to 85 are very different. Identical at bulkhead but gear sticks are further forward and it's much lower but wider at seat box.

The clue was in the post :P - I phoned Ashcrofts and asked for an R380 that had a Defender shifter and fitted a V8 lump, and lo and behold a pallet turned up ;) (which did coincide with my wallet emptying, but it saved a load of faffing about trying to make the wrong thing fit)

If you go onto my ebay and look up the item you can view payment history, click printer version and you have a receipt!

This is true, however when i say "via ebay" the engine went unsold on ebay, then i emailed him, arranged the sale and sent the money to his bank account directly. So the transaction was never completed on ebay itself. Plus i would assume the DVLA would want the receipt to mention the engine number and capacity?

I'll just have to get a garage to inspect it and give me some kinda written evidence on headed notepaper and hope they will accept that.