DIY hydraulic pump

hi , wondered if anyone out there has any idea,s / suggestions what i could use to rig up an engine driven hydraulic pump to my 200 disco engine. with the intention to fit an hydraulic winch,( still in the planing stages , just want to know if anybody has any thoughts on this ).

i think i remember seeing somewhere that a power steering pump can be used , but i need to know what vehicle i should be looking for to get one from , as i can,t imagine a land rover one would have enough flow to power a winch .my idea was to mount it where the air con pump would be fitted and belt drive it , although i am not realy that keen on the belt drive idea . any one got any ideas ?

has anyone driven a hydraulic pump another way? other than pto driven from the gearbox ,which is the obvious way but i haven,t got one of those and want to try and fit one the cheapest way i can . crank shaft driven maybe , like some plant and tracters have done in the past ?

frabrication of brackets is no problem as is rigging up the hydraulic system, think i should be able to get hold of a small valve block to do what i want. i just need to hear from any one who knows of a suitable pump or has any ideas or even pictures that may help me out. i,m sure there are others out there that have already done this idea on the cheap ( parts from scrap yards and old plant machinery etc) look forward to any replies .

cheers steve.

My 90 had a hydraulic winch fitted which was very good - it was driven from the power steering pump via a series of solenoid operated valves.

The main problem was one of speed - it was desparately slow using this configuration. The winch supplier suggested using a ZF power steering pump which was permenently connected into its own hydraulic circuit but to my mind this was a vey strange way of solving this problem - given the amount of time that the winch was in use compared to the amount of time that the engine was running.

I started to look at ways of putting some sort of clutch into the drive of the pump so that it was not continually driven - I started with an magnetic clutch from an air con compressor but decided that this was not capable of taking the torque required and decided upon a dog clutch which could be engaged with the engine stationary. However events overtook me and the vehicle had to be sold so development stopped.

Apparently the next problem will be the solenoid valves which in their standard form are too small to allow a sufficient volume of fluid to pass to significantly increase the winch speed

The winch supplier suggested using a ZF power steering pump which was permenently connected into its own hydraulic circuit but to my mind this was a vey strange way of solving this problem - given the amount of time that the winch was in use compared to the amount of time that the engine was running.

Why is it strange? It's probably the most common configuration that the Milemarker winch is found in. It provides independence from the vehicle system (i.e. you can bust any part of the system and still have a fully functional vehicle - which you can't say about many other winches nor the power steering driven setup).

PAS pumps are designed to run continuously so no problem there, and the load off a PAS pump that is just pumping fluid freely is fairly negligible. My MM H12 is now on its third vehicle since I bought it and its never missed a beat.

Why is it strange? It's probably the most common configuration that the Milemarker winch is found in. It provides independence from the vehicle system (i.e. you can bust any part of the system and still have a fully functional vehicle - which you can't say about many other winches nor the power steering driven setup).

PAS pumps are designed to run continuously so no problem there, and the load off a PAS pump that is just pumping fluid freely is fairly negligible. My MM H12 is now on its third vehicle since I bought it and its never missed a beat.

hi bogmonster, so are u using a steering pump for your winch? if so is it a standard land rover item or some other larger unit ? steve.

I use a Saginaw pump out of a US Chevy pickup to power my MM. Exactly like MM intended when designing the winch. Brackets are partly homebrew and the pump sits where the AC compressor would sit. No pics at the moment...

"Why is it strange? It's probably the most common configuration that the Milemarker winch is found in. It provides independence from the vehicle system (i.e. you can bust any part of the system and still have a fully functional vehicle - which you can't say about many other winches nor the power steering driven setup)."

The reason I feel it is a strange way to power the winch is that given the winch is only running approximately 1% of the time (at least on my winch) the engine is running what is the point of having a pump constantly running, absorbing power and heating the fluid - this is not good engineering design. It may be the commonest and cheapest configuration but it is a poor solution to this problem.