OT: virus problem

BogMonster

I need some advice from knowledgeable IT pro types please ... off topic except that its the PC I use for LR4x4 ;)

I have the MS Malicious Software Removal Tool (first the March and now April versions) and it keeps telling me I have viruses on my PC. There is no other sign of anything untoward - no unusual bandwidth use and nothing else I can see, but every time I run it, it says I have five infected files and lists three different viruses.

Norton (which fully up to date, firewall etc active and apparently working as it picks up Firefox 3 updates etc and asks if they are OK) doesn't see anything on a full scan. The MS tool says it detects them but doesn't appear to remove them - I just get a page saying that there are five infected files on the machine but it doesn't say what they are. It says they have been cleaned but if you run the tool again it still says it has found and cleaned them so obviously it hasn't :rtfm:

post-33-1241973485_thumb.jpg

These don't show up with a quick scan on the MSRT but only on a full "all files" scan. I'm running Windows XP with SP3 installed.

Is the MS tool imagining things, is Norton not detecting them or what ... ? :unsure:

Run one of the online scanners such as that from Kaspersky (excellent software)...also consider getting somthing like Lavasoft adaware and running that to see if it picks up any malware carp.

what are the names of the files?

Try some anti-spyware type tool rather than a dedicated AV, there could be various reasons as to why Norton doesn't pick it up and why the M$ tool doesn't fully remove it, assuming it is picking up a true threat and not a false alarm :)

On a side note I really don't like Norton :P

oops, should have noticed the screen shot!

Your Norton appears to have a problem. There is a red cross on one of the Norton icons in the notification area.

If you do load up another security system, then make sure you disable the Norton system as they may not coexist too well.

You will find the Kapersky online scanner here

AVG can be found here

Cheers and good luck

Martin

I'd suggest you try Spybot-S&D I find it v good at detecting spyware, adware, and other unnecessary stuff that websites download when we are surfing and going about our business on the web. A google (other search engines are available) search will find a download site - its fairly intuitive to use. It might not fix all your problems and you may be surprised about the amount of other stuff on your machine.

Picking up other comments - I'd agree Norton isn't best Macafee is better and I'd suggest firefox rather than IE - I also tend to clear cookies at the end of sessions.

Good luck

John

Thanks all :)

I'm using Firefox 3, updated automatically. Norton is showing a red cross because I don't have auto updates on, on the basis that when I did they managed to completely screw up the Windows installation twice so I'd rather be without.

I'm running the Windows Live online scanner at the moment, not sure what is going on I left it running earlier but oddly I came home from a couple of hours boating and the whole PC was off which I didn't understand :unsure: now running again and also says it has "5 items detected, 2 issues found" whatever that means - takes ages to run but nearly half way through again. Depending on the outcome of that I will try one of the spyware programs later, ta, and may be back for more suggestions...

I have a multi license for the full version of AVG 8 which I use on the laptop, SWMBO's laptop and another computer I have, so if the problem doesn't go away I might put that on here too.

Guest noggy

personal advice, delete norton, and run Spybot SnD and also search with ADaware SE a couple of times a week.

i run 4 PC's with no firewalls like AVG, Norton, Mcafee because they cause more problems than they are worth.

and aslong as im careful what i click on, and not go on to stupid websites ive been clean for 4 years.

the local IT guy in the town, who happens to be Ex mil IT expert, told me he earns 3/4's of his money removing norton from peoples PC's and installing AVG.

Norton really is terrible, just marketed very well.

Problem solved :)

Nothing wrong with Norton, but the other ones were detecting infected files that Norton had quarantined, so there wasn't actually a problem at all :unsure:

Thanks all...

Ruddy computers :rtfm:

personal advice, delete norton, and run Spybot SnD and also search with ADaware SE a couple of times a week.

i run 4 PC's with no firewalls like AVG, Norton, Mcafee because they cause more problems than they are worth.

and aslong as im careful what i click on, and not go on to stupid websites ive been clean for 4 years.

the local IT guy in the town, who happens to be Ex mil IT expert, told me he earns 3/4's of his money removing norton from peoples PC's and installing AVG.

Norton really is terrible, just marketed very well.

Hear hear! Norton must be destroyed. Than install Lavasoft Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and then rely on AVG Free to protect you. Kaspersky online scanner is jolly super too.