Where would I source these from?

I am after a couple of those doors/lockers I have seen on a couple of vehicles, that fit exactly where the rear windows on a Defender are.

They lift up on a gas ram allowing access to the rear load space from the sides, and I think they lock with a paddle lock. They are exactly the same size and shape as the windows.

Any ideas where they come from?

Martin

Some series 1's had that. I've seen a Defender with one, but it was a very tidy DIY job. The guy had the door cut in half, hinges at the top and a gas ram to lift it, then the bottom half was strengthened and dropped down on chains in the same way as a Lightweight does.

Les.

OK, found a couple of places that do them. Nene Overland & Trek Overland both use them as part of their Camel Back & Trojan Back's respectively.

..................£350 PER DOOR!!!!!!! :(

Overlanding may well bankrupt me at this rate.

Martin

Yeah, I would agree that there are a LOT of products out there, that are just a complete waste of money! Under bonnet shower, plumbed into & heated by the engine comes to mind.

However, with me not having the luxury of space in a 90, I have to really, really plan where every single thing will go. I am literally calculating in square inches now.

Me using these side lockers would really help me access certain items in the back, without me having to move things to get to other stuff.

Bloody hell though, £350 per door :(

Martin

Just take your 90 as is, it'll be fine. Majority of this overlanding malarky is waste of money.

Leaves extra beer money for trip ;);)

There's a lot to be said for that approach, it's only in the last few years that many of the manufacturers have cottoned on the the 'expedition' stuff and hyped / marketed it up accordingly.

Mo Murphy and I have just spent the last fortnight living out of the 110 in Morocco with nothing more than a store draw, a MSS cubby box, some tie downs and no back seats by way of interior vehicle mods. We got away with it. :) TJ101 did slightly better with a decent shelving system in the back of his 110 allowing good access to the stuff needed. Side access was not missed.

Chris

I am after a couple of those doors/lockers I have seen on a couple of vehicles, that fit exactly where the rear windows on a Defender are.

They lift up on a gas ram allowing access to the rear load space from the sides, and I think they lock with a paddle lock. They are exactly the same size and shape as the windows.

Any ideas where they come from?

Martin

Is this what you are looking for, might be able to help with a empty locker excluding the fittings. We used one on a trip up Africa and found it very useful as utensiles were kept in an easy organosed manner and easy to come by. If interested contact me on raye@sky.com and I will see what I can do.

Ray

post-9921-1243766103_thumb.jpg

Mo Murphy and I have just spent the last fortnight living out of the 110 in Morocco with nothing more than a store draw, a MSS cubby box, some tie downs and no back seats by way of interior vehicle mods. We got away with it. :) TJ101 did slightly better with a decent shelving system in the back of his 110 allowing good access to the stuff needed. Side access was not missed.

Chris

Yeah Chris, I can quite easily manage for a 2-4 week trip as my 90 is; but I just think that over the course of a one year trip, it could get a little wearisome.

I have a design for a system in the back that would create a "locker" on either side of the rear door - hence the need for a side access; and a shelf over the main storage area (used for storing little used stuff, and incorporating a place to slide in a fold down aluminium table) with cargo rails running along the sides of my main storage area for tying down Wolf & Gommo boxes. It will all be folded out of stainless steel or aluminium sheet.

If I have done my sums right, I may just be able to squeeze a fridge in there too.

In an ideal world, I would be using a 110 double cab pickup, with a Trojan back at the rear for storage. I could then remove the second row seats and have a large fridge/freezer on a slide-out frame on one side and another slide-out storage area next to that, leaving all that storage area at the rear to play with.

Why, O why, did Land Rover not make a 300Tdi 100 Crew Cab!! B)

Martin

Have you tried contacting a retailer that deals with some of the ex service vehicles? You often see electricity/water company vehicles with lockers fitted but rarely see them with lockers fitted when they are sold on... Unless they take them off before they are released of course. Just a thought. :)

Save your money Martin, it'd be a shame to spend all that money and then not actually go.

Good luck

Mo ;)

Thanks Mo.

Actually, I have spent a LOT of time planning over the last several months. I have had a few meetings with some prominent people in the Overlanding circle.

I have done budget planning, for both myself & Jude and I have gone through a definitive kit-list.

There are several items that were complete luxuries, and some that were absolute necessities. Where ever possible, I have tried to utilise 1 product or item for more than one use.

These side-locker things are somewhat of an anomaly, and fall into a bit of a grey area.

Sure, I dont 100% NEED them, but it is looking a little tight in the back of the old 90, and they may just take some of the strain away, by not having to unpack lots of items to get to something else.

Rest assured, that any money spent on this project will not go to waste!

Whatever I spend, will be worth it, and the trip will NEVER be cancelled. :)

I have done a lot of asking around for the best price, gone straight to manufacturers, done website advertising deals etc. so I am in a pretty good place right now to be honest.

Martin