how to tidy up Ally panels

v8bobber

I've been fabricating a new centre tunnel for the trialler (along with the rest of it!) but it seems that hours and hours of cutting, bending and riveting the bare aluminium has left the odd scratch, scuff and general untidyness on it.

I'm tempted to paint it but have been advised against this, the thinking being that once the painted surface is scratched, it will show up marks all the worse.

however, it seems that leaving it as it is is not an option either as it looks too untidy. I've also been advised that the panels will "oxidise" and start looking a but more normal.

However, the two big sheets have been in my garage for months and don't appear to have oxidised at all?

Any ideas?

Dave

How about a nice engine turned finish?

post-5245-1244186217.jpeg

post-5245-1244186229.jpeg

post-5245-1244186238.jpeg

Can be done with grinding paste on the end of a stick in a cordless drill and various other methods. The swirl pattern does a good job of masking any future scratches.

Steve

How about a nice engine turned finish?

post-5245-1244186217.jpeg

post-5245-1244186229.jpeg

post-5245-1244186238.jpeg

Can be done with grinding paste on the end of a stick in a cordless drill and various other methods. The swirl pattern does a good job of masking any future scratches.

Steve

Looks lovely, but if I can't cut a straight line with a Jigsaw, the chances of me making an attractive finish is pretty near to none I reckon!!

Thanks for the idea though, I might have to try it somewhere

Orbital sander and paraffin.

leaves it dull but even and hide marks.

This is how my Prototype Lab used to finish ally panels before painting.

Marc.

Thats a new one. I'm going to crack on with the build and once it's all finished I will then go back and see how bad it looks. I think that once the seats . levers, dials and everything else are in I'm hoping that it will be less noticable. I don't fancy taking all the rivets out though just to get good coverage with the sander.........

Cheers,

Dave

WD40 and some fine wet and dry paper on a sanding block leaves a nice brushed finish and gets rid of minor scratches- even deeper ones with a bit of persistance.

Seems like a workable idea. When I've finished doing the complete bidywork i'll try this idea on a scrap bit and see how it turns out but sounds like a good 'un!