wolf spare wheel carrier

gixer181

Has anyone got pictures/ bracketry for the mounting of spare wheel on side of landrover tub? I'd like to make one or buy one cheap being a tighta--e that I am!

Thanks in advance Tim

Mo Murphy was thinking of doing similar recently, do a search for his thread, seems a good move BUT most likely not UK road legal, military vehicles have Crown dispensation from some Construction & use/road law regs.

do you want pics of it attached to the vehicle or just the parts? i can do both tomorrow when i am at work!

regards jon

Would be great for measurements please, got a general idea of how it fixes although any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tim

Mo Murphy was thinking of doing similar recently, do a search for his thread, seems a good move BUT most likely not UK road legal, military vehicles have Crown dispensation from some Construction & use/road law regs.

what part of road legal would this infringe? Is it because it over hangs the body work?

Tim

Hi oggie27 3, Do you have any WMIKe's at your place of work. If so can you get any pics of the spare wheel holder which is for the alloy wheel.

I have now got the alloys for my WMIK, but as the spare holders for the alloys dont seem to be available on the civvie market yet I need to convert a standard spare wheel holder to take it and it would be great to see what the differences are.

Cheers

cheers for that.

well how does it bolt, off center? as the normal mount has two bolt holes. Any chance of taking it off of the vehicle and getting a shot from the rear of it, and one looking down the tube part of the mounting bracket....

Much appreciated, this is really going to help.

• 2 weeks later...
cheers for that.

well how does it bolt, off center? as the normal mount has two bolt holes. Any chance of taking it off of the vehicle and getting a shot from the rear of it, and one looking down the tube part of the mounting bracket....

Much appreciated, this is really going to help.

dont forget to get an extended wing mirror arm or you will not be able to see past the spare wheel!

dont forget to get an extended wing mirror arm or you will not be able to see past the spare wheel!

Cheers for the tip,

but its on a real WMIK wolf, I am just changing the Steels for Alloys, and I need to get the spare mounted on some how, hence my question.....

• 1 year later...

Has anyone got pictures/ bracketry for the mounting of spare wheel on side of landrover tub? I'd like to make one or buy one cheap being a tighta--e that I am!

Thanks in advance Tim

Hi Tim, I know a place that sells the spare wheel bracket you want, but they don't have the round clamp part that holds the wheel on, usually £15. If your interested let me know....

cheers John.

Western

Are you sure they have crown dispensation? I thought that the MOD lost all crown dispensation in the early 90's. Hence why we are getting all the court cases of negligence from all those injured soldiers/sailors/airmen?

You'd of thought the crown dispensation would be across the board and not specific areas??

Very interested if you have inside info? Do you wear green skin????

• 2 weeks later...

Recently took my 110 with a wmik cage on the back down for an MOT, the guy doing the MOT didn't mention the legalities of the spare wheel mounted on the side, just made sure it was secure..... :D

Recently took my 110 with a wmik cage on the back down for an MOT,

Is that your land rover 110 that you posted the photo of?

I too have a Wolf with full WMIK kit on, didnt know some one had done a wolf so close to me (I am in Suffolk). Is the plate holding your spare wheel on a standard one, its just that it looks different to the normal one in the pic.

I also have a 110 wolf Hardtop, so two vehicles with side pounted spare wheels. One had to go through a DVLA inspection before I could register it and neither have had any problem legally with a side mounted spare. I dont think it will be a problem on a civvie rover, just so long as it is well secured. On a wolf its on the rollcage, on a normal civvie Landy the hard top is going to have to be beefed right up to take the strain...

Is that your land rover 110 that you posted the photo of?

I too have a Wolf with full WMIK kit on, didnt know some one had done a wolf so close to me (I am in Suffolk). Is the plate holding your spare wheel on a standard one, its just that it looks different to the normal one in the pic.

I also have a 110 wolf Hardtop, so two vehicles with side pounted spare wheels. One had to go through a DVLA inspection before I could register it and neither have had any problem legally with a side mounted spare. I dont think it will be a problem on a civvie rover, just so long as it is well secured. On a wolf its on the rollcage, on a normal civvie Landy the hard top is going to have to be beefed right up to take the strain...

Nope, not mine belonged to a guy called Steve, think he was up Staffordshire way, he brought the wmik cage down I bought from him, and took a few pics of his motor while he was there. Mine is more like a prototype vehicle/project, just needs finishing off and painting.... pic below...

110wmikprototype-1.jpg

cheers John

Western

Any more info on C & U exemption? Would be good to hear of any other snippets of info that pertain to ex mil LR should anyone intend to buy?

I don't have any more info, it was a thought, seeing as the XD WMIK are frontline fighting vehicles, also frontline vehicles are exempt from reflective reg plates, otherwise it would be a bit of a giveaway on the battlefield, even the newest vehicles for operations carry white or silver on black reg plates.

In that respect all military vehicles have white/silver on black plates. I've never seen a mil vehicle with reflective plates with the recognisable zz44zz style plates when I've been travelling the country. Are there any?