Can't find the clonk!

V8david

I can't seem to trace a REALLY annoying clonk that seems to be coming from the front axle area on my 1989 RRC.

It's done it since I bought it and I've never managed to track it down.

So far I've replaced (not just for the clonk):

All bushes, springs, shocks, swivel balls/bearings, wheel bearings, hub seals, new front axle (recon) which meant different swivel housings and half shafts etc., track rod ball joints, drop arm ball joint, steering rods, steering damper, A-frame ball joint and any other f*cking thing that moves on the bottom of the truck.

Now all that work was fun and interesting and more often than not a f*cking pain in the arse but the clonk has never gone.

Checked all bearings, no play. I can't make it do it by jumping on either end when parked. When I had the front shocks out the other week i bounced the front end around and it wouldn't do it.

It only seems to clonk when the front axle is articulating, more noticeably when driving very slowly, like if i slow right down and ease over a speed bump or something. I can also get it when I come to a stop. If I brake to a stop and turn at the same time it'll do it.

Everythings tightened and re-tightened but nothing has ever made the slightest bit of difference.

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers.

Look at the top of the axle directly underneath the pin of the shock absorber.

Are there any witness marks from the pin hitting the axle case? Some shocks have very long pins and can contact the axle when the bushes are compressed.

Noises under braking could be pads rattling - are your anti rattle shims and retaining springs all present and correct?

Otherwise I would be looking for ovalised holes for radius arms and or panhard rod.

another thing to try is disconnecting the front prop and seeing if that makes a difference.

small amount of wear between drive flange , pinion shaft, causing it to clunk when pulling away, disco 2 did this , easy to try repair , remove drive flange , add thred lock to pinion spline , refit flangne , and leave , idaely overnite , and retest. if it works cool , if not see above threads.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

My thinking is the shock holes. I did trim the shock pins as they were very close to the axle.

Having looked, the bottom guide holes for the shock absorbers, the ones in the top of the axle, are pretty ovalised. So I guess the guide washers haven't got anything to guide against?

So what's the best fix? Do i buy some nice chunky washers with a suitable internal diameter to house the guide washers and weld them to the axle?

Battery's in tight and pads and retaining bits are all present and correct, panhard rod and radius arm holes are good.

thanks again. I'll update when (if it ever!!!) gets fixed.

PS cheers darren, will have a look.

What sounds like the front, may be coming from the back...

A-Frame ball joint, etc. all ok at the rear ??

Neil

Yes mate, new ball joint and bushes all round. No play in the wheel bearings, bottom link brackets still securely welded to the axle!

How about the steering damper? You haven't mentioned that you have replaced this. Easy enough to remove.

Cheers Steve. Yes mate, been through an 'uprated' jobby I wasn't too impressed with and now back to a standard.

I removed front shocks yesterday ready to weld nice chunky washers on. The guide holes on the top of the axle are quite badly ovalised and I can see on the surfaces of the guide washers and the axle around the holes that the shocks have been sliding about. I'll get them welded on today and have a test drive, see if anything changes.

Will update!