Prop shaft

Hi All

Have got my front prop on the bench to clean prior to fitting and realised that the UJ aren't properly aligned. :angry: The unit is off a 1988 90 and has a plastic /rubber collar fitted to keep the smeg out. Trouble is my manual and the haynes book of jokes don't show this type of shaft. If I lever off the collar does it come to bits?

Any advice much appreciated.

Rob

Guest noggy

the shaft should just pall apart....

Just check the spline wear and give it plenty of grease and you should be good, and then pop back on the rubber booty thingy.

front props the UJ's should be in line, rear the uj's should offset.

i think. wheres the experts!

Early props (series, I think) have a metal collar that you have to unscrew before the prop will seperate - later types have a plasic collar that you have to pop off. There's also a protective rubber gaiter available that sits over the joint and is retained by 2 jubilee clips. Always mark the relative position of the two prop halves before seperating it.

Les.

Hi All

Have got my front prop on the bench to clean prior to fitting and realised that the UJ aren't properly aligned. :angry: The unit is off a 1988 90 and has a plastic /rubber collar fitted to keep the smeg out. Trouble is my manual and the haynes book of jokes don't show this type of shaft. If I lever off the collar does it come to bits?

Any advice much appreciated.

Rob

leave it as is, just lubricate the sliding section & UJ's & fit, don't try to align the UJ yokes, they are meant to be 'out of phase' to reduce driveline vibrations, whereas the rear prop should be in alignment 'in phase' with each other.

leave it as is, just lubricate the sliding section & UJ's & fit, don't try to align the UJ yokes, they are meant to be 'out of phase' to reduce driveline vibrations, whereas the rear prop should be in alignment 'in phase' with each other.

Quite agree with that. Also if you get the shaft nice and clean there should be a couple of arrows stamped on it to show you where it should be, although they are sometimes pretty hard to see.

Quite agree with that. Also if you get the shaft nice and clean there should be a couple of arrows stamped on it to show you where it should be, although they are sometimes pretty hard to see.

If it helps on my brand spanking new prop the arrows were one on the yoke, and one by the grease nipple on the shaft. Even on the new shaft they were tricky to pick out right away...