200Tdi - Td5 Gauges Upgrade

I ordered the OEM version from LR series. It has all the hallmarks of a Britpart item so I sent it back and ordered the genuine part from them, only about £3 more than the OEM one.

I've had it all connected on the bench and it seems to work OK, although I can't verify the MPH accuracy yet.

My old speedo read spot on. Hopefully the new one will too. I have the green drive gear with 265 tyres.

Okay, I thought I was going to get my speedo installed this weekend, but no.

I connected everything up behind the dash and guess what, the speedo no worky. The mileage lights up, the backlighting works, but I cannot get the speedo needle to move when I spin the transducer with my fingers.

As I mentioned above, I've previously had it all working fine on the bench, connected up as per Imperiado's instructions.

So what is wrong? I've checked the wiring over and over and over, took it all out and set it up on the bench again and still no worky.

I don't think I connected anything wrong, but if I did, what could I have damaged?

I thought I'd check the transducer output first. From what Jimmy Neutron says it is meant to alternate between high and low output, so I hooked it up to 12v and a sillyscope. There is no output when connected like this, so I wonder if it needs any pull-up resistors to get an output.

Does anyone have a data sheet for this component? I've Googled VDO 340.214/13/4 but all that comes up is the wibbly wobbly speedo thread!

Also Jimmy mentions using a clock generator to advance the mileage reading. I'd love to know how to do this myself, Jimmy would you mind letting me in on this?

More head scratching to do....

there's not much inside the speedo transducer, I haven't removed the little black cover from my dead one, just split it at the end cap to extract the inner shaft.

I could send you the outer part of my old one, it still works but you'll need the inner bit from yours to make complete unit.

PM your address if you want it.

• 4 months later...

Just to wrap this up, and provide a reference for anyone searching, my progress is chronicled here:

http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/2009/10/installing-defender-td5-gauges-into-a-200tdi300tdi/

This is also covered in the infamous wibbly wobbly speedo thread, so if a mod would like to close this topic to further replies I wouldn't have issue with that. I'll post up a proper link for the tech archive when it's all good and done :)

Ta