Camping Trailers - Sankey Based

Been thinking for some time about building a camping trailer based on a Disk braked wide track Sankey. Seems relatively straight forward but the deeper I look into it the more limited my designs become based on the limitations of the original footprint of the bed.

Looking at the design of most of the South African trailers the have much longer aframes and the axles are much further back. I suppose this aids articulation and increases space but will make the nose weight higher and increase the likelyhood of grounding.

I am keen to use a Nato hitch.

Should I get a Sankey, build a box and see how it goes, possibly extending the A-frame in the future or start from scratch and build a new chassis which is closer to my requirements and use indespension units.

Can Alloy wheels be fitted to Sankey's? I have noticed some difference in the hub design. Will a freestyle for example fit?

I dont know much about expo trailers but I do know that Myway are importing a box body that you provide the sankey trailer chassis and then just bolt this body on top. It may seem expensive (5k I think) but no hastle and all ready to go.

H

Saw one of the S/A ca per trailer at Gaydon and they are too far over the top. They have too much up front which makes their noise far too heavy

I have an Off road camper trailer which we drove around Aus and lived in for 7 months. But like alot here in Aus it is just an off road 7' x 4' box trailer with a tent on top

trailer.jpg

Ok its has a few extras like Tool Box on the front and jerry can holders, Kitchen, and 65 ltr water tank built in under the rear.

And Gas bottle holders and an external tap for washing hands and stuff so you don't have to get the kitchen out to get to some water

tap.jpg

I have a 2m long A bar. This gives it better off road use and better balance. But also always you to fully open the back door of a disco or defender with the trailer still on the car . And belive me that is important , after all that is where your fridge is :)

I have a Hyman Resse tow hitch which is an off road tow hitch which swivals in all directions. But a Nato hitch will still do the same . But will mine i could put it on the back of the defenders or on the back of the Ford Falcon.

towhitch.jpg

This what our look likes when opened out , It has two more side curtains for the Awyning to makes a room on the front. Also has a shower room that firs on the back.

tentup.jpg

and if you want to set up quick and sleep to do this takes about 2 mins

PICT0011-1.jpg

This is the inside of the camper. Gives you a full size bed on the top of the trailer.

Resized640x480_WB2653202672_G.jpg

And the storage is in the trailer . So easy access. Gives you the option to store all you stuff in the trailer and not in the car ( this is not my trailer but mine opens in the same way )

Resized640x480_WB2653202672_A.jpg

There is a thing in Aus where they say keep it as simple as poss. Well that is what worried me about the S/A one . It was far too complicated. My trailer runs on Parabolic leaf springs and that is it . No brakes, No Shocks. Does not need brakes as under the weight limit and no shocks as the don't need them. We drove our trailer hard across the outback on thousand of miles of corrigations and it proformed fine and still came back for more . After all you are not going to go rock crawling in a trailer every day. You need an off road camper trailer for harsh roads and crossing ditches.

defender0708003-1.jpg

This is a pic of the car and trailer in the car park of at the cape the most northern point in Australia. This is reguarded as one of the most difficult tracks in Australia and the trailer did it fine up and back along the track with its ditches and hundreds of water crossings

at%20the%20top.jpg

And now to wind you up totally . This trailer cost me £3500 in total for everything , brand new :)

I dont know much about expo trailers but I do know that Myway are importing a box body that you provide the sankey trailer chassis and then just bolt this body on top. It may seem expensive (5k I think) but no hastle and all ready to go.

H

This is not true. The trailers are made in the UK. I think the £5K is for a fully loaded ready to go trailer with everything you could need. Tent/water/system/LPGtank for cooking/ etc etc etc.

My experience of the Myway tents has been nothing but good. I have had a good look at the trailers and while its not what I want I can see the build quality in them.

TJ

Can Alloy wheels be fitted to Sankey's? I have noticed some difference in the hub design. Will a freestyle for example fit?

hello thought i ought to share few of my views with you on this subject, ive actually bought my way trailer(voyager1) and i love it to bits! in answer to ure question do alloys fit as you can see from pic yes they do with bit of modfying! i cut of tie down disk on end cap on sanky axle and with some tidying on the alloys they just just, by nats knee cap fit on!

ime very pleased with trailer paul built for me, i supplied sankey chasi paul refurbished it fitted box and tent to it, i think the trailer is value for money when you see how much expertise, skill and attention to detail has gone into building it, i think ude be very hard pushed to buy similar trialer similar quality build for any less,

post-17787-1245964040_thumb.jpg

post-17787-1245964115_thumb.jpg

hello thought i ought to share few of my views with you on this subject, ive actually bought my way trailer(voyager1) and i love it to bits! in answer to ure question do alloys fit as you can see from pic yes they do with bit of modfying! i cut of tie down disk on end cap on sanky axle and with some tidying on the alloys they just just, by nats knee cap fit on!

ime very pleased with trailer paul built for me, i supplied sankey chasi paul refurbished it fitted box and tent to it, i think the trailer is value for money when you see how much expertise, skill and attention to detail has gone into building it, i think ude be very hard pushed to buy similar trialer similar quality build for any less,

Thanks for your post Shep.

I have worked out that if I use spacers on them (as I will be on the 90 too) I should be able to clear them easily. Your trailer does look very nice indeed!

How would these trailer cope with rivercrossings?

Thinking about Iceland.

mmm i have done alot fo river crossing in the 90 with the trailer. And can say that in really deep water (half way up the 90 windscreen ) that the trailer floats so make it easy to tow though water :rolleyes:

Here is a vid of the 90 and the trailer crossing a small river