Service Parts - Genuine vs OEM Kits

Time to service my 2003 TD5 Defender, pricing up the replacement parts required, oil, fuel and air filters etc it comes to about £80 for genuine parts from either the web or main dealer. I've also found several sites selling "Service Kits" which comprise everything parts wise I need to service for about £15-£20 but they use OEM or pattern parts, normally Britpart etc.

In the past I've always used Genuine parts as I just assumed they are "better" as 1) they are Genuine and B) they cost 4x as much!

Are these Britpart (and other OEM) service kits up to the job or should I stick to genuine parts?

Thanks in advance,

Marcus

I can't comment on this situation specifically, but in the past the advice I have always got from people I know who work in the motor trade is: When trying to save money with engine service items, get a genuine oil filter, then the cheaper brands for the remaining items. It's always the same advice, which is don't cut corners with the oil filter, but it's okay to do so with the other parts (apart from cam belts - get genuine for those too!).

I have been told that in a lot of cases the genuine items come off the same production line as the cheaper items and that the only difference is the name on it and the box it goes in.

My friend who is a mechanic gave me an example of cheap oil filters not being a good idea, and that concerns VW Golfs (the older ones). If ever they had one in with the camshaft worn out it, the engine was always found to have a cheap brand oil filter fitted. It apparently never occurred on Golfs with the genuine part oil filter. He said the reason for this was that the cheap filters didn't contain a non-return valve whereas the genuine ones did.

Mike

I have been told that in a lot of cases the genuine items come off the same production line as the cheaper items and that the only difference is the name on it and the box it goes in.

And that can be quite true. OEM means it's made to the correct spec (or should be, and can be the same item that comes in a fancy LR logo box but without the price tag), pattern means it's cheapo stuff that may or may not meet the standards set by the manufacturer.

And that can be quite true. OEM means it's made to the correct spec (or should be, and can be the same item that comes in a fancy LR logo box but without the price tag), pattern means it's cheapo stuff that may or may not meet the standards set by the manufacturer.

I was told this about the Halfords-branded items specifically, so I presumed it applied to others too.

:)

Most known brands (Cooper/Mann/Fram filters for example) are OK, although genuine is preferable and in most cases with a bit of shopping round not much more expensive. I'd try to get at least a genuine oil filter.

I would avoid Britpart like the plague with added AIDS, they're beyond awful. Allmakes or Bearmach are better than britpart, but that's not exactly high praise.

For service items i usually just use my local motor factors. End of the day if you took the vehicle to any garage bar the main dealer for a service, the parts will have come from the local factors. The good ones arent in the game of selling ****e, as its simply not in their business interests, and generally they will sell branded parts like FRAM filters.

Not had any problems with Bearmach filters...

Although I was furious when they turned up as Devon 4x4 told me their filter kit contained 'Named Brands' as I specifically asked before purchasing if they were Britpart and was told no. I, personally, do not include Bearmach as a named brand!

As I said, no problems though :)