GPS receiver

stuck

Anything SiRF-III or better. eBay isn't too bad a place to find them. If you have a Serial (RS-232) port I'd suggest using that instead, as, depending on the chipset, the USB ones change their virtual port every time you plug them in - which means the nav software then can't find it. Serial ones will always be on COM1.

The best feture is you can record your route then transfer it to a desktop system. You will then always have it if you do the route again.

To be fair, pretty much any GPS / nav program will do that.

As an aside, GPSBabel is very handy for converting all sorts of GPS-related files (waypoints, tracks etc.) into other formats to get data between laptops & GPS units etc.

Anything SiRF-III or better. eBay isn't too bad a place to find them. If you have a Serial (RS-232) port I'd suggest using that instead, as, depending on the chipset, the USB ones change their virtual port every time you plug them in - which means the nav software then can't find it. Serial ones will always be on COM1.

You can permanently attach/force a COM port to a USB device in Device Manager. It also helps to use the same USB port, but that's all you need to do.

Seems expensive compared to a generic Sirf-III mouse, and the generic ones speak NMEA whereas Garmin can be proprietary about some stuff.

Millions of SiRF-III ones on eBay for even cheaperer, just keep an eye on the specs.

Holux GR-213 is good and works even when located on the rear bulkhead.

For greenlaning I use Oziexplorer and for roadnavigation NDRIVE which is very easy to use on a touchscreen like the toughbook

Hi All,

Have downloaded Oziexplorer and first impressions are it's bloody complicated!

Does anybody know of a location from which I can download decent maps as the UK one that comes with it seems to be useless (unless I'm missing something!)

Any web sites around with decent info on how to use Oziexplorer as the built in tutorial hasnt really helped much!

Cheers,

Mick.

No short tutorial for Ozi but you don't need at least 70% of the buttons. My general routine is:

- Plug GPS in

- Hit "Start NMEA"

And wait for it to find a map.

Apart from that, creating, editing and saving waypoints is about all you need to worry about to get where you need to go.

No short tutorial for Ozi but you don't need at least 70% of the buttons. My general routine is:

- Plug GPS in

- Hit "Start NMEA"

And wait for it to find a map.

Apart from that, creating, editing and saving waypoints is about all you need to worry about to get where you need to go.

Fridge,

Sorry to be a pain in the arse but when you say "And wait for it to find a map" I take it you have more than the huge scale map that comes with the software?

If so did you have to scan them in or can I buy / beg / steal them from somewhere?!

I can see the map import function and the list including Kompass, Maptech, Quo Vardis etc but can't find anything of relevance on Google.

Cheers in advance,

Mick

Yes, I do have the odd map or two but can't really give them out to all and sundry I'm afraid.

You can scan maps, convert various maps to Ozi format (I believe you can convert Memory Map files to Ozi, for example, which I think means you can buy a CD of maps and convert it legitimately).

You can also find maps in the, ahem, public domain via bittorrents - try ThePirateBay, BTMon, etc. and just a good ol' googling for anything in .ozfx3 format. There are lots of GPS forums out there especially if you look for geocaching, you may find useful stuff there. You can, if you want to make yourself really unpopular and get banned from Google (no, really), download maps from Google maps & other mapping services and calibrate them straight into Ozi (I think there's even software to do it) although obviously it's frowned upon by the map sites and, as I mentioned, you may find yourself banned from Google Maps if you try to download half of the world in hi-res... :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Something I tried recently in Morocco which worked well but proved to be a bit unstable was to use Google Earth "offline in combination with a GPS receiver (Holux GPSSlim236) to do real-time route tracking on high res aerial pics of the route. What you have to do is Fly-through your chosen route in GE at as high a resolution as you can get while connected to the internet. Then when you are actually on that route you can open GE and it will use the images looked at earlier from the computer cache. Use Tools to open a link to the GPS and use real-time tracking to show your position and progress. I found although it worked well it seemed to time-out regularly and then you had to restart the programme all over again which got to be a pain. This may be related to my computer only though!