Stainless Steel Exhaust system..

Well just spent a while searching and I didn't manage to find any thing so I am going to risk it for a biscuit :P

I have been considering the possibility of upgrading to a stainless steel system when I convert my 110 2.5 N/A to a Discovery 200TDi. Now I have a couple of questions, those being:

1) Are the systems any good?

2) Who are good manufacturers and suppliers?

3) Are their any performance increases?

4) Are they comaptible with Steve Parkers front pipe conversion?

and lastly and the most scarty... :blink:

5) HOW MUCH DO THEY COST :unsure:

I'm thinking that if there are more plus points then depending on the cost it must be worth while for the longevity of the system....

Thanks

I can't speak for performance gains for diesels but I think it is fairly widely accepted that they will improve the Rover V8.

If you use the Yellow Pages you may well find a custom exhaust fabricator near by.

In Britol a company out in Avonmouth (Infinity Exhausts I think) will make any system to order. They charge per job, but 300Tdi stainless manifolds are about £150 and custom side exit wiggly bit (from cherry bomb to side exhaust) was also around £150.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=31256

Yes SS are good, see linky

Custom made can also be as much / less than some poorly fitting suposedly

made systems, so don't think custome = ££££££££££££s :)

Also don't go "High Grade" stainless, it can crack on hitting cold water, can't remember the grade but

you wnat the lower grade stuff, goes lovely blue and straw colours too for added 'Bling' :lol:

Nige

That depends 100% who's making it. Some are awful, some are things of beauty.

As you'll likely see from Nige's post, it takes a lot of finding - I'm having a system made this weekend so will be reporting back with my experience and hopefully a recommendation.

Again, depends totally on the system - if you just re-make the standard system but in stainless then no. Then again, some "performance" modifications can actually lose you power. Whole books are written on exhaust design so it really depends how far you want to take it, remember it's a Land Rover not a Ferrari.

I guess that depends if you get one that fits or not - if you buy a stainless system for a Citroen Saxo then no, it won't fit :rolleyes:

The same price as this length of string :ph34r: I have had some truly ludicrous quotes for my system, upwards of £700 for a few feet of pipe and a silencer from one place (not including downpipes, Y-piece or manifolds!). Again, hopefully all will go well this weekend and I'll be able to report on a decent supplier.

Whether it's worthwhile or not is a tricky one - standard LR systems are so cheap that if you're likely to beat it on something off-road, sell the truck, or do more tinkering like engine swaps etc. over the coming few years then it might not be worth the investment. If on the other hand you're likely to keep it for years and years and maintain/improve the truck then yes it's worth it - do it once, do it right and all that.

Well just spent a while searching and I didn't manage to find any thing so I am going to risk it for a biscuit :P

I have been considering the possibility of upgrading to a stainless steel system when I convert my 110 2.5 N/A to a Discovery 200TDi. Now I have a couple of questions, those being:

and lastly and the most scarty... :blink:

I'm thinking that if there are more plus points then depending on the cost it must be worth while for the longevity of the system....

Thanks

Hi,

I am new to LR4x4 forum. I do not know where you live but if you are in England contact Gary Wood at TD5 Alive!

Their products are second to none. They use T304 stainless steel. Only go for a 2 1/2" system, Gary will advise you on this. He is a straight talker with no BS.

So far I have used TD5 Alive for my EGR valve removal kit and a T304 stainless decat pipe. Good performance increase and increased fuel economy.

If he can not supply then he will suggest a very good alternative.

landypc

I had a Double S system fitted around 14 years ago after my 200Tdi was fitted, never had any problems with it & a while back I replaced the centre silncer with a straight through pipe.

Double S don't sell direct anymore but they will advise on your nearest supplier/fitting agent & prices

http://www.stainlesssteelexhausts.com/

Thanks for that. Will give Double S a look and see what they have to offer..

Certainly well within my skill range :blink: to do so and it will save money on getting one fitted :lol: and mean I get the satisfaction of saying 'I did that' when on falls off over the first bump it encounters :blush:

Thanks

I can't speak for performance gains for diesels but I think it is fairly widely accepted that they will improve the Rover V8.

If you use the Yellow Pages you may well find a custom exhaust fabricator near by.

In Britol a company out in Avonmouth (Infinity Exhausts I think) will make any system to order. They charge per job, but 300Tdi stainless manifolds are about £150 and custom side exit wiggly bit (from cherry bomb to side exhaust) was also around £150.

Will give them a look in and see what they can up with next time in Brissol..

Thanks

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=31256

Yes SS are good, see linky

Custom made can also be as much / less than some poorly fitting suposedly

made systems, so don't think custome = ££££££££££££s :)

Also don't go "High Grade" stainless, it can crack on hitting cold water, can't remember the grade but

you wnat the lower grade stuff, goes lovely blue and straw colours too for added 'Bling' :lol:

Nige

Doh! :rolleyes: Didn't think to look in there!

Another endorsement for SS. It does seem from what I have looked at so far that the custom stuff doesn't seem to be as much as I expected which is some what suprising.

At the risk of sounding thick (not hard I know) how will I know what is or isn't high grade? - do they just state low, medium or high grade on the metal work?

Bling...mmm...if the manufacturers find that out they'll charge extra for a 'design' feature :D

Thanks

That depends 100% who's making it. Some are awful, some are things of beauty.

As you'll likely see from Nige's post, it takes a lot of finding - I'm having a system made this weekend so will be reporting back with my experience and hopefully a recommendation.

Again, depends totally on the system - if you just re-make the standard system but in stainless then no. Then again, some "performance" modifications can actually lose you power. Whole books are written on exhaust design so it really depends how far you want to take it, remember it's a Land Rover not a Ferrari.

I guess that depends if you get one that fits or not - if you buy a stainless system for a Citroen Saxo then no, it won't fit :rolleyes:

The same price as this length of string :ph34r: I have had some truly ludicrous quotes for my system, upwards of £700 for a few feet of pipe and a silencer from one place (not including downpipes, Y-piece or manifolds!). Again, hopefully all will go well this weekend and I'll be able to report on a decent supplier.

Whether it's worthwhile or not is a tricky one - standard LR systems are so cheap that if you're likely to beat it on something off-road, sell the truck, or do more tinkering like engine swaps etc. over the coming few years then it might not be worth the investment. If on the other hand you're likely to keep it for years and years and maintain/improve the truck then yes it's worth it - do it once, do it right and all that.

Damn..knew I should have been more specific :)

1) Accept that..

2) Waiting with excitement for the outcome of your recent investment

3) By performance I was actually thinking more in terms of extra MPG and torque (if that's possible in a 200TDi :rofl: )

4) Definately won't be matching it up to a Saxo..well at least not yet :lol:

5) Same as 2...

No as much as the Mrs would like me to get rid of my pride and joy I will be keeping my 110, where else would I put the dogs when they're filthy, smelly and so much more :D and yes it will definately be slowly but surely be improved to take on the best of the best :ph34r::huh: and be done once and done right :huh:

Don't forget to tell us the outcome of the happy event

Thanks

Damn..knew I should have been more specific :)

1) Accept that..

2) Waiting with excitement for the outcome of your recent investment

3) By performance I was actually thinking more in terms of extra MPG and torque (if that's possible in a 200TDi :rofl: )

4) Definately won't be matching it up to a Saxo..well at least not yet :lol:

5) Same as 2...

No as much as the Mrs would like me to get rid of my pride and joy I will be keeping my 110, where else would I put the dogs when they're filthy, smelly and so much more :D and yes it will definately be slowly but surely be improved to take on the best of the best :ph34r::huh: and be done once and done right :huh:

Don't forget to tell us the outcome of the happy event

Thanks

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=38153

Try this one

I've now done a couple of thousand miles with my SS system, including over 1000 miles this weekend, Goodwood and back. The exhaust still isn't the noisiest thing on the truck.

Cheers

SPD

OK, I'm back - the guys that did the work are Fast Fit in Basingstoke.

Due to a slight miscommunication on my part (I hadn't explained properly that in removing my tubular headers they'd have to re-make the front part) they only did from the Y-piece back this time, I'm going back to have the front re-made too.

I'm happy enough as the price was good and everything fits, although I know Nige would grumble about the bends being waisted as they don't have a mandrel bender (but hey, if it's good enough for some people's roll cages :ph34r: ). Anyway, pictures are better than words so here's a few snaps:

Room for the PTO - the lambda sensor was refitted later:

web_IMG_2408.JPG

It's a bit tight under the back of my truck so this was more fiddly than it looks - the cardboard is only there to keep the space whilst tacking bits in place.

web_IMG_2409.JPG

This lot is also fiddly, although this angle makes it look straightforward it's actually snaking round in 3D to clear the chassis, fuel tank, axle, bodywork, and wheel:

web_IMG_2410.JPG

...anyone want to buy a pair of SS V8 Tubular headers & Y-piece? :P