Squeaky clutch pedal

Has anyone experienced a squeaky clutch pedal on their defender? I’ve got a 300TDi, not sure if that would make a difference?

I originally thought it might be the return spring on the pedal but I’ve coated it with about a litre of WD40 and it’s still as prominent as ever – is there something behind the footwell which could be causing this or has anyone had a similar experience?

Cheers,

Mr_mcp

I've got a 300Tdi clutch pedal assembly in my 110 & it squeaks too, I think it's the springs movement that makes the noise, it doesn't bother me,you could try some heavier grease on the spring/push rod under the cover plate on the engine bay side or it could be the pedal pivots causing the noise because they are working dry.

Its a fairly common problem, and like Ralph says, you need to lubricate everything with something heavier than WD40.

I just grabbed an oil can when i was at my garage and lubricated everything i could see and reach from within the cab.

If you go into the engine bay, next to the master cylinder is a plate, held down with 6 screws. Its about 1.5x3 inches. undo this plate (be careful, as 2 of the screws can be a bit awkward) and then just lubricate everything you can see inside.

Once you have done all that, depress the clutch pedal half a dozen times or so to worl all the lube in, and it should clear it up straight away.

HTH

Martin

.. Must be a common landy thing.

I think it must be.

My Td5 does it too, more of a groan than a squeek though, squirted loads of WD40 all around the pivot & spring - still the same, i just ignore it now.

I think it must be.

My Td5 does it too, more of a groan than a squeek though, squirted loads of WD40 all around the pivot & spring - still the same, i just ignore it now.

Aah, i have also had a groaning sound too. I fitted a HD clutch kit, and at the same time reinforced my clutch fork, when i had done the job i had a groaning sound. Strangely, only happened in winter just after doing the clutch, but has gone now. It faintly crops up every so often, but i just think it is how the fork pivots, and finds its own range of motion.

Has anyone experienced a squeaky clutch pedal on their defender? I’ve got a 300TDi, not sure if that would make a difference?

I originally thought it might be the return spring on the pedal but I’ve coated it with about a litre of WD40 and it’s still as prominent as ever – is there something behind the footwell which could be causing this or has anyone had a similar experience?

Cheers,

Mr_mcp

I have an old 2.5 N/A and i have been experiancing the same problem. i have not looked in to it a great deal yet as i have been too busy with other things. i will have a look in the near future and let you no how i have got on! hopefully a little bit of oil etc will solve the problem. :)

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Mine squeaks somewhere in the box around the pivot axis on the right side. Covered everything with WD40 - didn't help. Need to find a diagram to see how can I disassemble the damn thing and lube it properly.

• 12 years later...