series tdi conversion

crazyfarmerboy

only a silly little question but do you need engine conversion mounts to fit a disco tdi engine to a series 3 and are they available or how much do they cost? thanks

Hi crazyfarmer

std series mounts will fit straight on but go for petrol rubbers as diesel rubbers will send shock waves through the chassis.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

Hi mate, you might know this allready, but the 200 fits the series mounts, the 300 does not, I have one, it fits directly onto the series box without any mods but not the mounts.

If you have not found a donor yet then look for one that is not a eds (loads of electronic carp on the injector pump), some have a digital stop solenoid which can be offputting but not hard to get round.

Hej Nick,

welcome to the forum. How long have you've been running the 200Di in your landy? Are you pleased with the conversion or do you wish that you went the full hog and included the turbo? A number of people here have worked closely with Richard to create their perfect Land Rover.

Todd.

Hi Todd, only been running it about 3 weeks but after running my old 2.25d for the last 35 years the 200di seems like heaven,

Pleased as punch with it and I am very glad I did not fit the turbo, in its present form I think its the perfect uncomplicated engine with more than enough power for me, not sure weather to fit the disco diffs or just stick with my overdrive,

I towed my microlight aircraft to the airfield yesterday with it for the 1 st time approx 600kg total and it was easy.

Nick.

• 2 weeks later...

If you fit the turbo and intercooler as designed, you will see significant improvement in fuel economy and power. If you fit disco diffs, you will need special half shafts, Series shafts are ten spline, disco are 24 and longer. Fit diffs from an early range rover, they are 10 spline.

The early Discovery's are 10 spline just as the early RR's.

Stick with both the overdrive and serie's 4.70 diff's, the performance lose with the 3.54 diff's is too much if you plan to use the series offroad.

Todd.

I may be mistaken, but I'm 99% certain that Discovery diffs, like RRC, are 10 spline - it's the outer ends of the halfshafts that are 24 spline, but not the inner ends.

I don't like the idea of swapping the diffs - it's pretty tall gearing that you can't selectively lower (about the same as driving with the OD engaged all the time), and raises the low ratio gears by the same 25-30%, so engine braking is severely compromised, as is the crawling ability in low 1st. You would also need to have the speedo recallibrated.

I'd recommend you stick to just the OD, especially since you use it for towing.

As for turbo chargers improving economy, that's only true if you find you spend a lot of time in lower gears and the turbo would allow you to use top gear more. If you are already using 4th OD a lot, or use lower gears because of speed limits, then the turbo will only increase fuel consumption (marginally).

At the moment my SWB 200di with pull in 4th low overdrive without any drama at 20mph barley touching the throttle.

Nick.

I went for the fully blown Tdi installation on my 109. With the roof rack, roof spots, bull bar and bonnet spare adding to the aerodynamic drag, the vehicle runs out of performance at about the same point as the govenor restricts the engine in 4th with the OD engaged, assuming flat ground and light wind. Up long hills of over 5%, it starts to struggle to maintain 60mph when heavily laden (with a roof tent cover used to contain all the rack stowed items as aerodynamically cleanly as I can). Using 3.54s would leave me overgeared, despite having the turbo and intercooler. A 200DI would run out of performance much earlier, so is unlikely to need the taller gears if used in a similar fashion.

Towing seems to have relatively small effect on performance from the few times I have used my Sankey, but the 3.54s would raise the low gears and reverse enough to make maneouvering while hitched up a fair bit more difficult.

A small increase in my gearing would be beneficial for motorway cruising, but that could really only be acheived by fitting 3.54s in conjunction with the LT77 and low ratio LT230 I have in my garage - they would offer lower low ratio gearing for off road use while giving a higher top gearing. Using 4.1:1 diffs or 9.00 tyres would give me a 10% gear increase which would be fine on road, but is still too tall when descending steep mountain tracks; even with the standard ratios and the high compression of the Tdi, the engine was still racing away on many descents in 1st low in the Alps, needing frequent dabs of brake, which is not ideal on loose surfaces.

I think if I where doing serious towing like you snagger I would stick with the o/d, saying that when I get around to fitting the disco diff I will leave the o/d in place just in case I dont like running without it,

Since fitting the 200di I have noticed that my normally quite o/d is starting to get a bit more noisy so I am wondering if the extra power running through it is taking its toll.

Nick.

I'm getting very tempted by the Di route .....

What have you guys done exhaust wise? I suppose it won't need to be as large a bore as a turbo system, but I presume it'll still need something a bit bigger than the 2.25 petrol had....?

The standard sizes are:

2.25p - 1.25" (I think, maybe 1.5");

2.5nad - 2";

2.5TD/Tdi - 2.5"

Going smaller reduces top end power but increases torque. It can also increase engine temperatrures and cause the cooling system to struggle. Going larger reduces torque but can increase BHP.

I think a 200Di would run fine with a 2.25 diesel manifold and standard SIII petrol exhaust.

Defender tdi downpipe is 2 1/4'', The local auto store doesn't supply that size so I went one step larger. Simply slid the pipe over the smaller one and welded the gap.

I went with the larger diameter so that I would't run into any over heating issues due to too much back pressure.

Todd.

I had a TD in before i fitted the TDi, thats about the same performance as a Di - it was pathetic compared with what i've got now! 200TDi's were designed to work with 2000/2500kg motors, with the 5 speed boxes and 3.54 diffs, the 4-speed and 4.7 diffs make it all easier for the engine. I had me 1500kg 88" blasting down the M6 with 4th plus OD with my 3.54diffs, at 80mph with no lose of speed at small hills, and only dropping back to 70 on the biggy by Corley, and i wasnt even up to 3500rpm, and the engine runs to 4200rpm!!!

And by the way, i have 3 early disco 1 diffs in the garage, they are 24 spline, not 10.

My 2 pence worth...

Engines are big air pumps. The easier it is to pump air in and out, the more power is available for moving a vehicle.

I have 2.5" exhaust with a free flow performance muffler and a K&N type air filter on my 200TDI. loads of power, good economy. If I were to build a 200DI, I would run a 2" exhaust for the power. The 200DI has great grunt down low, probably peppier than my TDI (before the turbo spools up) because it doesn't have the turbo restriction in the exhaust. But they tend to lag a bit at the top with the small stock exhaust. Seems to me that if your Landy spends most its time below 3000 rpm, then the stock exhaust should provide adequate performance. If it spends more time on on the motorway above 3000 rpm, a bigger exhaust would be an improvement in performance, and maybe milage. Its really up to the driving habits of the owner...

ok, back to my corner now... :ph34r:

And by the way, i have 3 early disco 1 diffs in the garage, they are 24 spline, not 10.

They can't be early ones then because Mk1 pre 93 disco diffs are definately 10 spline as are RR classics. I have disco diffs in my 2a and they're a straight swap with the exception of the fill hole which needs to be added to the diff pan on early axles as it's on the diff casing itself on early series motors.

1993 was the changeover year for the disco diffs :)