Wheel bearings

I`ve slowly been rebuilding my swivels on 1994 defender (discs rear and front). When I took it all apart there was no spacer between wheel bearing and inner lock nut. I ordered a new one but now I`ve come to putting it on it seems a really tight fit. I tried the washer on the old stub axle(I have replaced stub) and I could get it on by tapping it. I`m worried I will damage the thread on the stub by doing this.

Am I doing the correct thing by tapping the washer onto the stub or should it be an easier fit?

John

provided it goes on with out whacking it hard, the threads will stand up, you could make the hole slightly bigger with a file to clean up the edges, IIRC these washers are stamped out & will have a rough/sharp edge on one side.

I had a similar problem with a 200Tdi rear stub axle. The new lock washers on a new stub axle needed some help with a file to fit correctly.

The lock washers should fit by hand and should come off easily with a screwdriver either side once they are straighened out.

Jon

Hmm, is this the same for early 90 rear hubs, with drum brakes?

I have no washer between my inner hub nut and the 'seal track spacer' which meets up with the outer wheel bearing. I have the diagrams from Microcat and the workshop manual and they don't agree on what goes in what order. Microcat has:

mc.png

Outer bearing (8) - thrust washer (13) - seal track spacer (14) - inner hub nut (15)

(The seal (12) runs around the spacer, so isn't relevant here.

On the contrary, the workshop manual has:

wsm.png

Outer bearing (7,8) - seal track spacer (20) - inner hub nut (11)

Now, I have set up my vehicle like the latter, as it seems to match my vehicle better (going by the drive member's appearance etc). As a result, my inner hub nut presses directly onto the face of the seal track spacer (20), the other side of which (with it's rubber seal) presses onto the bearing face. This seems better to me as the inner face of the 'seal track spacer' is completely round, matching the bearing race's face.

What does everyone else run?

How thick is the spacer/thrust washer. I ask to make sure you haven't confused this with the lock washer. The thrust washers should be fairly thick (thicker than lock washers). I have found that the Lock washers are normally a very tight fit, but the thrust washers can be slid on easily...