mot emissions help

Ive got a 2.5td 110 which went in for mot on monday and it has failed on emissions. After a week of the garage telling me they just need to adjust the fuel supply on the injector pump and it will pass, the smoking hasn't improved. They have now told me it needs new injectors.

For a bit of background info,

It passed emissions last year and then failed on other things, i didnt have time to fix it so it was driven back for the garage and sat in a feild for a year. It is now smoking with a grey/blackish smoke under load. It gets significantly worse when the engine is hot. The garage says its at around 5.5 on emission tests and needs to be down to 3 to pass.

Does new injectors sound right or does anybody have any ideas on what could be causing it to smoke, timing etc.

cheers

Having sat around won't help, good pre MOT advice is to put some quality diesel in and some injector cleaner, give it a good hard run and put straight in for MOT while hot, will have burnt a lot of carp out of the system. The diesel MOT is purely on smoke density.

Having to replace worn injectors is more likely than fiddling with the pump, however your smoke problem could be down to worn valve seals or piston rings from sitting around. Does it start easily enough?

cheers for the advice, before putting it in for mot i replaced the diesel with some fresh stuff and added some injector cleaner then took for a good hard blast. It starts instantly after warming up the glow plugs for about 10secs. I will try replacing the oil and running veg.

It smokes so much more when hot than cold its fine for the first few miles of driving but then the smoke starts puffing out. What would cause this in the fuel system? i was thinking it could be rings or cracks in the pistons letting oil through when the engine is warm and the oils thinner?

someone told me if you remove the diesel filter and put in a decent injector cleaner like whurth into the filter then pop it in for the mot it pass ,dont know if thats true or not :)

i had this problem in the past ,mine was caused by all the soot becoming loose in the exhaust while stood ,managed to clear it by taking a long run up the local dual carriage way on the way to the test station ,

The TD engine is also prone to smoking when the timing belt is slack - hence the timing is all over the place.Have the injectors out and get them pop tested,a low crack off pressure and poor spray pattern will both cause incomplete combustion.Unless the pump has had water or rubbish through it the engine ought to pass an emission test even if its in poor overall condition.

The important things are timing and spray pattern.

a friend of a friend (cough cough) had a problem with emissions on his MOT a few years ago, under boost it smoked a bit too much.

they removed the air filter and poured injector cleaner into the fuel filter and retested - still failed.

so he wrapped some rubber around the tube that goes from the turbo to the injection pump and put a molegrip on it to close the pipe. This prevented the injection pump adding any additional fuel when on boost.

passed straight away :rolleyes:

NOT that i condone fluffing your way through an mot of course....

Another common trick is to stop round the corner, stuff some wire wool up the exhaust pipe, then drive into the test centre. Wire wool acted as a temporary filter and cleaned-up the emissions for a short while. Not that I'm suggesting you do that of course :unsure:

Les :)