Looking at a 3.9 V8 LPG, advice needed!

bluespanner

Evening folks.

I've found locally a nice looking Disco, its a 1996 v8 on gas. I have a few questions to ask owners of similar

What sort of running costs should I expect on LPG? Would it be cheaper or more expensive to run than a 300tdi?

secondly, what do you think the vehicle is worth? It seems very tidy and is ES spec., with 110k miles. £1000? The man says offers.

Thanks, Roland

I've just been looking at one myself - the bloke reckons he gets 25mpg on gas, but gas is half the price of diesel - but he is being the salesman! So you could expect a little less.

I had a 300tdi before and only got 28mpg out of that so 25 at half the price does work out cheaper

My 3.9 LPG Disco ES used to return around 16MPG. There is no way anyone is getting 25MPG out of a Petrol or gas 3.9, the best you'll get on petrol is around 20MPG and LPG always returns less MPG. Even a TD5 can struggle to get 25MPG at times !

I am a 'gentle' driver and the best I ever did in a 3.9 RRC on gas was a little over 17mpg on a long trip, average used to be around 13mpg, but then gas is less than 1/2 the price of diesel, so that equates to around 27-35mpg, but I get all the pleasure of driving a V8 :D

(I am talking in the past tense above because my car has been off the road for a while)

My 3.9 LPG Disco ES used to return around 16MPG. There is no way anyone is getting 25MPG out of a Petrol or gas 3.9, the best you'll get on petrol is around 20MPG and LPG always returns less MPG. Even a TD5 can struggle to get 25MPG at times !

I thought that - thanks for confirming!

So you're really looking around 10-12mpg? - which at half the cost equates to 20-24mpg?

I run my 3.9 on LPG. The bloke who is selling one saying he gets 25 mpg probably thinks there are 10 litres in a gallon!

Running sensibly, mainly trunk roads and motorways, with some rural town driving, I am happy if I get just over three miles to a litre. When I push on a bit, that will drop to 2.5. This also needs the car to be well maintained in the ignition, timing & spark plug department.

There are those who keep the petrol tank completely full "just in case" as well as having the LPG on board. That will cost you probably a further 10% of your fuel costs, because of the weight.

That fuel consumption figure roughly translates into about 25 - 30 mpg for the equivalent diesel costs. However, depending on how long you are going to keep the car, bear in mind you will pay a lot less for an old Disco on Petrol/LPG, probably £750 - £1000. At 57p a litre (North Yorkshire prices) for LPG, that's about 1315 - 1754 litres of fuel and at only 2.5 miles per litre, you get a difference of 3287 - 4385 miles worth of saving.

(And that's without offending all the TD owners by saying you will also have a Disco that has great acceleration, doesn't smell like a lorry and growls rather than clatters!)

well i bought a 95 es couple of months ago with 2 36 litre sill tanks it takes 47 litres to fill as they only fill to 80% and this costs me £23.00 and I get 125miles to a fill so tend to have around 1/4 to half a tank in petrol to give me about a 200 mile range which is great for greenlaning

cheers

Lee

do love the roar of the v8 though it great

what sort of condition is it in, for 1150?

i just spent £1990 on a 1995 v8 auto disco, but the body shells is in superb nick, not a spot of rust anywhere to be found, it drives almost perfect too!

but no gas system..... yet

Evening folks.

I've found locally a nice looking Disco, its a 1996 v8 on gas. I have a few questions to ask owners of similar

What sort of running costs should I expect on LPG? Would it be cheaper or more expensive to run than a 300tdi?

secondly, what do you think the vehicle is worth? It seems very tidy and is ES spec., with 110k miles. £1000? The man says offers.

Thanks, Roland

Hi, i have a 3.9 which i drive quiet hard and tow a lot i get 15mpg which is about the same on petrol but half the price. If set up right and a good system you will hardly notice any difference. £1000 is good price if all ok but then cheaper is always better.