breather tied into snorkel?

I'm about to install a safariguard snorkel on my 300tdi 110 in advance of wading. I was planning on extending the axel, tcase, etc breathers as well.

Is there any reason not to tie the breather extensions into the snorkel (before the air filter)? This would avoid having to run a breather vent up the side of the snorkel.

Is there a fear of sucking fluid from the tcase/axel via the breather?

vin

I suggest you route the breather pipes up as high as possible & don't put them in side the snorkel/air intake, you can get small multi connector manifolds for the nylon breather pipe, & just have 1 single pipe to the top of the snorkel

The Problem is if you drill or make a hole it will be very difficult to make water tight and wont be 100% reliable that water wont get in, Its best as western said to get a 4 into one manifold and have a single breather following the snorkle upto top, That way water cant get in.

I know its not as clean looking but at the end of the day its better not too have water getting in the axles/gearbox and engine.

Dave.

gents,

I plan on going the 4 into 1 manifold route, but am curious if there is any reason not to tie into the pre-filter side of the intake.

Sealing is a trivial job, i plan on tapping the snorkel for connection to the breather if there is no mechanical reason to do so.

having said this, mechanically is there any reason not to/

vin

The only reason not too I would say is because its just another place for water to enter the system, Some people say it can draw the oil up the breather.

I have a mushroom top snorkle and i have just popped the top of the breather just inside the head of the mushroom and have never had a problem pulling oil up the breather........That said the suction is much greater at the air filter.

Its up to you at the end of the day, but if you are planning to go wading I would stick away from tapping or drilling the air filter in any way and just do it the same way as the majority of people have done and run the breather up the snorkle. Its tested and proven to work that way and there isnt much point in finding out the hard way.

Thats my opinion. ;)

Dave.

There is first hand evidence from members of this forum of oils being sucked into the snorkel if the breathers are terminated inside it. SO T-ing into the induction system would have a similar effect, possibly even worse as there is less head to overcome.

On that basis, I would take a single pipe up high on the snorkle and put a "U" bend in it so the open end points downwards. A couple of cable ties and you're done.

Did mine recently, just extended the existing breathers...

Some 6mm air line, some push fit T-pieces and straight joiners was all I needed, liberated by a mate from his work, took about 15 mins to fit it all.

I ran them up the snorkel, and secured it pointing down with a rubber lined fuel pipe P-clip. :)