Any thoughts?

Matt S

Hi

I am looking at buying a cheap runabout Landie, and have found (amongst others) a 1984 Series 3 diesel (88 hardtop). I am not a total LR novice, but since my current other vehicle is a 2005 Freelander it might be a bit of a shock... It is for sale through a small independent LR workshop not far from me who has been in business for lots of years and seems good - and also has a good reputation.

Firstly, bodily it is reasonably straight. Faded blue paint and a few dents here and there but not too bad. Bulkhead has some surface rust but seems solid, and footwells have been patched at some point but again seem pretty solid. There is a small hole where the bulkhead meets the floor by the drivers door which will be welded prior to sale. The seller has recently done some refurb to the rear crossmember and this is now solid. Door tops are a bit ropey. It smokes a fair bit on start-up, but this soon stops when it has warmed up. I have not driven it yet. It has fairey o/d, freewheeling hubs and apart from torn seats is quite clean inside. It isn't perfect by a long way, but it has quite a good 'feel' about it. It will come with a fresh MoT. When fully prepped for sale, the seller wants £1500.

I only need to do a round trip of 10 miles a day, and occasionally go to the tip with whatever I get.

Am I mad? Should I go and get a Disco 1? Or does this Series stack up for the money? Help...

Cheers

Matt

Whatever you do, drive it first for a good period of time to decide if you *really* want a Series. They are a world away from a Freebie. They're bumpy, bouncy, rattly, noisy, have no PAS, poor brakes and being a 2.25 diesel it will top out at 60mph and take a week to get there.

There's a marked difference between "looks solid" and actually properly solid, so if you're not familiar with "proper" land rovers (or "proper" welding / repairs) I'd get a 2nd opinion from someone. Posting a few pictures here (especially close-ups of any bits which have been repaired or are slightly suspect) would be a good start.

Hi I am not an expert just an addict :ph34r:. I have a 110, disco, rrc,and a lightweight. I did have a s2 for about 2,3 years used it to go to off roading and off roaded it. It was useful for short runs and lugging stuff about but very basic! It was the lack of power steering that made me sell it. The lightweight will go the same way (no pas) health reasons.

The 110csw I have had for 6 years it is only a 2.5na it does everything with a fair amount of refinement ie everday drive, off roader and a bigger lugger :P and camping trips.

The rrc is a long term thing and not on the road. The Disco I have had about 3 years. If I said the term "thinking mans defender" comes to mind you might be able to know what it does.

Everything. When I scrape up enough dosh it will get the off road treatment. :D

Yes, mad_pete. and IIRC there were others. I think there might be a techy bit on here how a pas was added to a series, plus disc brakes, 200tdi engine and all the rest. Almost a 90 :ph34r:

So a series or 90 or 110 or Disco and not necessarily in that order. :blink:

The world is your lobster Rodney :lol:

Matt S, the two priorities for the vehicle should be the condition of the chassis and bulkhead. The rest of the bodywork is relatively simple and easy to replace.

I think I also should mention that the 2.25 engines can go on for such a long time, that they get so worn that they can be gutless and have massive bore wear etc. but still run. So bear that in mind when looking at potential purchases.

For your suggested use locally, I think it would do the job fine. You'll know if you like it within the first couple of months. Oh, and most of all, be mindful of poor quality parts that might have been fitted to the Land Rover. If reliability is poor, it is more likely to be because the parts are just worn out or poor quality parts have been fitted rather than poor design (as many new to Utility Land Rovers might jump to as a conclusion).

If you really want a series then go for it provided you get second opinion on key components.

If you want a cheap and cheerful runabout/off roader you will be much better off with a disco/rrc for similar money. Same rules apply on condition though.

After a friend's experience (before I met him) with a V8 converted Series 2 (and the engine was the least rotten part) I'd be extra x 1010 careful of (as in look extra hard at) anything that isn't original. Many conversions and mods are well carried out, but some beggar belief.

Echoing the comments above, find someone nearby who can help you look at the steel parts find the rusty bits appraise the vehicle appropriately.

Remember that "original" usually appreciates in value, once it reaches classic status.

I can't see disco values falling any lower, but most I've seen are rust baskets, so be very careful - they rust EVERYWHERE. Very nice car, though, very nice.

Series values continue to climb, but they are an acquired taste to drive.

Drive both, learn as much as you can, and buy what you like the most.

G.