Average MPG on LPG

adam300Tdi90

Hi all,

I would have thought this has already come up, but I did a search using the topic title and nothing?!?

Anyway, after seeing this:

RangeRover.jpg

I immediatly had a new project idea which I can't seem to shake...... <_<

I would like my Defender (when finished) to be a car which I use only now and again. The new project idea is a jacked up classic, on LPG, sprayed satin black (like my Defender), which I will use as my 'everyday/tow-to-beach car'. Those of you on LPG, can you post what you think your average MPG figure is? (Not, cost per mile as you see in adverts for Rangies!!!)

Also, does anyone know what is required to make a Range look like this, i.e. Tyre sizes, supension mod?.

You might be able to tell, I am attempting to price up the project... TIA

On a simple draw-through system you will probably get 12ish MPG, sequential a bit more, but *much* more spendy.

With the mods you are talking about, especially the tyres you can probably drop that to around 10.

All from my experience of running 2 3.9 Rangies on LPG ^^^

To fit tyres that big under a RRC:

1. Throw LR axles in the skip.

2. Break out 9" angle grinder and set about the body work, wheel boxes and inner wings.

3. Say goodbye to any level of sensible articulation.

4. Spend a small fortune on axles man enough for the job.

5. Hydro steer maybe?

Having said all that, it does look good, but will be an awful tow car or daily driver in this country I wiould suggest.

Having said all that, it does look good, but will be an awful tow car or daily driver in this country I wiould suggest.

But for where that vehicle is from, Iceland, it looks my perfect vehicle  :wub:

Hi there, just did a camping trip to wales in my very over loaded LSE 4.2 on single point. Crusing on the M4 at about 85. The return trip took in the Strata Florida. 340 miles, £56 of lpg, average cost of lpg 56p. 3.4 miles per ltr, that works out at about 15 mpg. Happy days.

To fit tyres that big under a RRC:

1. Throw LR axles in the skip.

2. Break out 9" angle grinder and set about the body work, wheel boxes and inner wings.

3. Say goodbye to any level of sensible articulation.

4. Spend a small fortune on axles man enough for the job.

5. Hydro steer maybe?

the axles on that one are quite possibly just standard. Such large tyres on Icelandic cars are usually for flotation purposes. As such they aren't built with the kind of off roading which puts a large strain on the drivetrain in mind. As is pretty evident there's not much allowance for any articualtion and you'll probably see that the back axle has been shoved back in order to allow the body chop. The off roading done there does not seem to involve very tight spaces or crawling over big rocks so the main requirement is to drive over snowy or rocky terrain. The usual route to fitting such tyres seems to be body lift and then shove all of the suspension components down using a combo of spacers or cutting off and rewelding mounts.

The result is not enormously useful for the UK unfortunately and i get the feeling that sometimes such mods are done for show as much as anything else. Curiously most of them don't carry a spare tyre, which i suppose is due to the difficulty in storing a 40" tyre, however it can leave you up a certain creek. Oh and staright line travel becomes pretty much impossible as they wander really easily, speed limit is only 55mph.

The sorts of roads pictured there are passable by a reasonable stock 4x4 in summer and tend to be all marked as routes on satnav systems. This includes roads with fairly big river crossings and muddy bits that look like they're only farm tracks. The satnav sent us through the river pictured.

Anyway in their home territory, these things have their place, but in the uk, not really the best tool for the job.

post-865-125147611808_thumb.jpg