Bearmach strengthend Track Rod/Trackrod guards?

white90

Rather than expensive gaurds and sumo bars, why not just build your own seriously HD track rod / drag link.

Metal Supermarket (have branches around the UK) stock a size of CDS which has an ID that exactly matches the OD of the standard LR bars and has a 7mm wall. I've made mine from this for about £30 and ive had both front wheel off the floor with the weight taken on the track rod with nothing more than a few scratches. I've even snapped a drag link ball joint pushing against stuff with the drag link and still not bent it.

Rather than expensive gaurds and sumo bars, why not just build your own seriously HD track rod / drag link.

Metal Supermarket (have branches around the UK) stock a size of CDS which has an ID that exactly matches the OD of the standard LR bars and has a 7mm wall. I've made mine from this for about £30 and I've had both front wheel off the floor with the weight taken on the track rod with nothing more than a few scratches. I've even snapped a drag link ball joint pushing against stuff with the drag link and still not bent it.

I've got a mate how drills and taps solid steel bar but my feeling is that if the bar doesn't bend what is going to brake

if winching over a tree stump something has to bend or brake if it catches

I've the Gwyn Lewis protector as well. It's had plenty of leatherings and still looks like new. TRE will come out if you stick the wheel at full lock. If you must, you can loosen the guard bolts a little - no need to remove it - and the extra movement is more than enough. I've never had to do that however.

New trackrod/drag link arrived. minor mod required to the swan neck to shorten it to fit the Bearmach drag link.

I'll wait for the arrival of Gwyns stuff before fixing anything else

along with CB antenna and lights when The parcel from Chris arrives to.

• 2 weeks later...

trackrods fitted

bargain considering new greaseable trackrod ends included.

On to the trackrod guard

Well I have never fitted something so easy to install everything lined up it took less than 20mins.

First rate.

Proper 90degree elbows installed also to replace poxy L/R banjos on the axle breathers

these were also fitted in the 20mins mentioned above.

• 2 months later...

Snap!

post-121-12576980186_thumb.jpg

post-121-125769803064_thumb.jpg

Well almost. That's the BishbuiltR version smile.gif.

Not quite as high up as Gwyn's and doesn't have that skid plate to the diff (good idea that, damn!!) but it did only cost me £17.25, and that was for the galvanising! biggrin.gif

Out of interest, how many of the radius arm bolts does Gwyn's one use Tony? Mine uses both and the two diff bolts.

Metal Supermarket (have branches around the UK) stock a size of CDS which has an ID that exactly matches the OD of the standard LR bars and has a 7mm wall. I've made mine from this for about £30 and ive had both front wheel off the floor with the weight taken on the track rod with nothing more than a few scratches. I've even snapped a drag link ball joint pushing against stuff with the drag link and still not bent it.

Exactly what I have just done. Replaced the tie bar on the 109 for a Br1tp4rt 'chocolate' offering which bent as soon as the hoist leg bounced off my head and hit it (don't ask). It is now fitted with a 316 stainless length of DCS with a 4mm wall. If that bends then so will the axle :)

It was the thought of getting extreme toe-in after taking just a squirrel out that made me do it!