Steering jamming!- Death by column shroud

Right,

So last night i was coming round a roundabout - luckiliy quite slowly. As i approached my exit and started to take off the lock it appeared that the steering lock came on- i really didnt didnt have time to analyse what exactly happened, as i was pooing my pants at the time...

The wheel locked solid and i had to brake to a stop before i went into the oncoming traffic. :huh:

Wiggled the steering wheel and it freed off- drove home very very slowly.

Anyways i removed the steering lock, ground off the tongue that engages in the column, and refitted- a steering lock is not going to stop someone stealing my landy.

BUT

This morning it happened again as i pulled out of a side road. This time i noticed that it was because the steering wheel was fouling the column shroud. I really dont see how i can adjust this to avoid it happening, the shroud just fits in its place. And why would it have suddenly started to happen? Previously to the first event yesterday i had not touched anything in that area.

Any suggestions from the team?

*BTW this is a B-reg 90. 1984?

As removing the lock has not cured the problem I would jack the two front wheels off the ground and inspect the entire system with an assistant turning the steering wheel from lock to lock. That way you should be able to track down the problem without resorting to guesswork.

TBH with something as safety critical as this I would not use the vehicle until you have sorted the issue.

I have just 2 days ago removed the shroud to stop one hell of a squeak as it was driving me insane, what it turned out to be was that the top of the shroud where it met the small indented ring that's part of the moulding of the plastic steering wheel was coming into contact with the shroud-ie: the raised bit's on where the two pieces meet at the top end of the shroud every time you turned the steering wheel it squeaked like hell, i took a hacksaw to the both of them and removed the raised bit's which does'nt actually affect it at all as you can't see it anyway-this all goes back together as it should but minus the sticky up bit's

i now no longer have a squeak and life is more enjoyable with my truck

After speaking with my brother he said it could be CV's? the time it first happened last night i had just removed my front prop to troubleshoot yet another vibration that had developed, and was actually out testing to see if the vibration had gone.

The front prop is still not in place- could this be related? I have been thinking about this and even if the column shroud did catch surely with a fairly good heave on the wheel it would just snap and i'd be off again? I have not been able to straighten the wheel at all in either instance and it has only freed up when i have slowed to a crawl...

:blink::blink::blink:

Oh, and the vibration is still happening... at around 65mph. This was found on my way to work before i realised the steering was still funky. :ph34r:

Things done to troubleshoot this vibration (and my last one) have been:

replace TRE's

check and adjust swivel preload

rotate wheels about to see if issue moves around car

check steering damper

check toe.

Oh, and the vibration is still happening... at around 65mph.

Things done to troubleshoot this vibration (and my last one) have been:

replace TRE's

check and adjust swivel preload

rotate wheels about to see if issue moves around car

check steering damper

check toe.

I really really really would check the steering column linkage, particularly the universal joints. Also, make sure nothing is catching on the UJ clamp bolt ends.

The only other thing that springs to mind is to check nothing is fouling the swivels (gaiters?), TREs, drag and track rods.

Thanks Errol- i am currently at work, but when i make it home (very slowly) i will jack it up and check the steering UJ's. i have had a look already and could not see anything that might foul anything, but that kind of thing is always better with two people.

I had a similar thing happen in Newbury - round the roundabout, steering wouldn't turn, round the roundabout again and finally onto it smile.gif the steering freed off, and I drove home up the motorway (minimal steering). Stripped out the hubs and found this -

post-2-125147748732_thumb.jpg

post-2-125147750295_thumb.jpg

Same thing on a Disco

post-2-125147756859_thumb.jpg

On both vehicles the steering was momentarily jammed.

Les.

On another note...wont driving around with the front prop off cause the centre diff some bother??

Well it would if i attempted to drive with the centre diff operating- it would be spinning like crazy! I have it locked so there is in effect no centre diff a la series.