ACE what is it ?

sweety

Hi can I ask what ACE is ? I'm sure it's something to do with the handling (am I right) will it cause me any probs when going off road. I do some green laning from muddy lanes in Northumberland to rocky lanes in the Yorkshire Dales & hopefully more lanes in the Lakes

I guess so - not sure.

I think it is supposed to disengage off road so in theory should be better than conventional anti roll bars over rough terrain. No idea about the reality though.

(Actually that isn't entirely true - the reality is its another load of complicated sh&4e to go wrong on a vehicle which in some cases is now 10yrs old...)

It is good, I have a friend that we go on trips together with quite often,

and he has a DII with ACE. On open roads he finds it difficult to keep up

with me if I use the V8 a bit, but get to the twisties, and there is no

hope of me keeping up with him.

ACE is GREAT - makes the D2 handle the bends like nothing before it and then flex off road as good as an early Disco (which would fall over if you drove it on the road like an ACE equipt D2). The 5 seat GS has ACE, but coil springs all round - perfect combo.

The only down side is when you drive over a tree using that great off road peformance and rip the ACE valve block off - £1000 repair bill time.

post-5209-125180522946_thumb.jpg

if you are thinking of buying a disco with ACE check the condition of the pipes if they are very rusty then make sure the price is right as thev are VV expensive £5-600 a set plus fitting

Thanks guy's as this has helped me alot in this strange (to me) world of LR :rolleyes:

if you are thinking of buying a disco with ACE check the condition of the pipes if they are very rusty then make sure the price is right as thev are VV expensive £5-600 a set plus fitting

Yikes! :o

That I didn't know - must be a market for non genuine ones there!!

I was told when I had mine done that the instructions on bleeding and setting up the system run to 14 pages in the manual! I think mine was the fisrt one that Brooklyn 4x4 had done at the time and it took them something like 3 hours to bleed and setup. Mind you, that's why it now gets serviced at West 4x4 :ph34r:

I bought my Disco new in 2002, and it's now done 155000 miles.

The ACE system has given me 3 problems:

1. The upper accelerometer failed at ~3 years ~60k miles (it's above the rear view mirror in the plastic pod).

2. The upper accelerometer failed again after ~6 years (125k miles)

3. June 2009, the pipes in front of the block (attached to chassis under drivers seat) corroded thru (and the car was waxoyled). I had a quote to replace the lot, and it was over £600 (from an independant whose prices are normally good).

The system has now been removed. Quite a big job. The pump is driven by the aux drive belt, so that needs replaced with an idler wheel (also got the aux drive belt replaced at the same time). Also the front anti-roll bar is replaced, and the "brain" is reprogrammed to tell it it's not got ACE (i.e. an "S" rather than a "GS". Total cost £380.

After 2000 miles, and a few months I don't miss the ACE system. There's a little bit of body roll if you throw her round a roundabout. Off road I can't tell the difference. Most of my milage is on the A9 and often with a trailer, and any difference is negligable...

Less to go wrong now...

I was thinking about this again.

My vehicle is a 5-seat GS model (2002, and has coil springs all round. It did have ACE originally but I took it off as above ^^^ The results are fine.

I do remember driving an air-suspended Disco without ACE, and it did seem to roll a bit more in corners...

Just a thought - maybe ACE is more of a requirement when Air Suspension is fitted?