FAO Bodywork Experts

After inspection of my bulkhead i see that its not just a footwell that requires attention. Ive found rot on the top edge of the corners. The rest of the corners (where they usually go) is solid with no previous filler. As can be seen from the pics, a light rub with the flap-wheel has already seen it go through to a hole. It would be a shame to buy a whole repair section just for the top edges. What can i do? I dont want to just bodge it with filler because i'll always just be masking the problem.

Secondly ive taken a look at the rear tub. I already have to make a repair panel for where it attaches to the chassis, but ive also noticed problems at the rear corners where the sidepanels are mounted onto. Again as can be seen from the pics a light flapwheel has it into a hole and i think if i continue it will all disappear including the mounting. Is there a repair panel available? If not, whats the best i can do?

post-4644-125191170662_thumb.jpg

post-4644-125191172235_thumb.jpg

post-4644-12519117349_thumb.jpg

For the bulkhead I would go for a repair pane as almost certainly as you cut awy duff material you will find more... and more... and more. It is a Land Rover after all!

It will also give you a nice big opening to spray waxoil into.

Cut the top panel bit off where it has riusted and check the condition of the inside of the metal if its corroded most probably it would be best to replace the corners as well as the top strip, I wouldn't put waxoil in to the bulkhead until your sure you've got rid of the rot, as its a B**tard to wed through or get rid of it once you've put it in.

The rear corners are a capping riveted on just find a better one on a scarp tub and replace yours.

If you've got the bulkhead stripped off already, why not just replace it with a second hand one ? There's always a few available in good nick, or at least better than yours :)

I have one in the garage that you could take away for a few beer tokens but I'm sure you'll be able to find one closer to you.

Thanks for the advice guys. I now think ive found the capping for the tub. MWC3316 i think is the part number.

Re the bulkhead, i may replace the corners. If i get someone to weld them is there any chance of distortion? Only the panels incorporate the top door hinge and if the job isnt good it could it possibly give me a major headache? Any second hand bulkhead ive seen is actually in a worse state than mine. Apart from the corner tops and a small hole in nearside footwell, its actually very good in comparison with others ive seen recently. Obviously id like new TD5 one but im afraid funds dont permit just now..

While you're on the lookout for rear tub cappings it would be worth going for galvanised ones.

I believe vehicles built as truck cabs had galved and painted cappings while hard tops had a painted only version. Alas, these latter ones corrode away just as quickly as any other LR part :o

Early hard tops like my 1986 model had them galved all round, and then the bean counters came along :(