BLUE SMOKE!!

CURLY

hi there,

my old 2.5td smokes like a chimney on startup and if i take my foot off between gear changes, and if i have the throttle at half mast for a while in 3rd.. it seems to run clean if i am going for gold, but not sure if its just that the smoke is being blown away by the speed.. :rolleyes:

i was just wondering if there was a way of telling if its the piston rings, and or the valve stem seals, because if its the latter, i'll fix it, but if its the rings, i wont bother..

also, if i take the oil cap off, it puffs a little bit out of there too..

Cheers,

CURLY

hi there,

my old 2.5td smokes like a biatch on startup and if i take my foot off between gear changes, and if i have the throttle at half mast for a while in 3rd.. it seems to run clean if i am going for gold, but not sure if its just that the smoke is being blown away by the speed.. :rolleyes:

i was just wondering if there was a way of telling if its the piston rings, and or the valve stem seals, because if its the latter, i'll fix it, but if its the rings, i wont bother..

also, if i take the oil cap off, it puffs a little bit out of there too..

Cheers,

CURLY

Rings!

oh dear..

not much puffs out the oil cap, so i was hoping that a set of new stem seals and i could use it for a few more months..

i'm putting about 5 ltrs of oil in the engine every time i fill it up with diesel, well 3/4 fill it other wise it sloshes out the filler cap.. HE HE

i'm pretty stumped with it at the moment, cos i need to use it everyday to get to work, and pick up my boy from nursery, so i need some sort of quick fix!

any ideas?

CURLY

oh dear..

not much puffs out the oil cap, so i was hoping that a set of new stem seals and i could use it for a few more months..

i'm putting about 5 ltrs of oil in the engine every time i fill it up with diesel, well 3/4 fill it other wise it sloshes out the filler cap.. HE HE

i'm pretty stumped with it at the moment, cos i need to use it everyday to get to work, and pick up my boy from nursery, so i need some sort of quick fix!

any ideas?

CURLY

Pistons and/or piston rings as well as valve stem seals can be changed in a days work in the parking lot.

Been there, done that.

The parts are rather affordable. Say on the level of the cost of two-three tanks of diesel for way better than B***P*** quality.

Apart from ordinary sockets and spanners, you will need a torque wrench, a valve compressor and a piston ring compressor. The latter two can be had real cheap in a quality that will likely last long enough to do all four cylinders. The torque wrench you better borrow rather than buy a crappy one.

could it be that my turbo is knackered?

cos its got quite a bit of play in it.....

CURLY

how much play is "quite a bit"?

On mine the compressor wheel can be moved maybe one mm sideways, but the engine performs fine nevertheless.

Of course no play would be better, and most likely perform better, but what can you expect with a mileage of close to 400.000 km ;-)

probably about 2 or 3 mm..

IF you want to spend any money on it and try another turbo, my old one from my TD is in good nick. PM me if any use.

One thing i would say (although you are using an awful lot of oil) is that these engines will go on in this state for ages. My old TD has a broken piston and or ring or 2 or 3 or 4 and it still drove and worked reliably. If you want a tdi, take your time, get all the bits and dont change the engine till all the parts are in place to do it easily.

I would bet a lot of money that it is only the valve guides, unlikely to be rings if it does not smoke under load and breath heavily, unlikely to be turbo if intermittent smoke although possible. Turbo shaft up and down play is normal as the shaft runs in double floating bronze bearings but end to end play is not, easy to check.

Lara

I would bet a lot of money that it is only the valve guides, unlikely to be rings if it does not smoke under load and breath heavily, unlikely to be turbo if intermittent smoke although possible. Turbo shaft up and down play is normal as the shaft runs in double floating bronze bearings but end to end play is not, easy to check.

Lara

ah, this sounds a bit more like what i wanted to hear!

reckon i'll pop the head off, and put some new valve seals in and see how it goes. if that doesn't help, i'll buy 20 ltrs of the stop smoke treacle oild from halfrauds and use that untill i can afford to put a 200tdi in it.

thanks for all your help!

CURLY

cracked pistons???

oh great, it just keeps getting worse!

:lol:

how can i tell if they are cracked?

CURLY

You'll know when you take the head off to do the valve seals! It is a common problem on this engine. Towards the end, my TD air filter was absolutely soaked with oil after about 1000 miles after a filter change. After a motorway journey, it would pour oil out of the filter housing as it was breathing so heavy. Your crankcase vent hasnt been modified to run somewhere other than the air filter housing has it? That would explain the lack of oil on the filter (a rare occurence for these engines once they have covered a few miles from wht i've read!).

i just took the head off the 2.5td, and when i seperated the head from the block, there was loads of oil on the gasket, and on the mating faces of the head and block on the side where the push rods come from.

and there's a build up of crusty black/brown sludge on 3 of the pistons, and some of the valves.the bores look suprisingly shiney and scratch free too, which is supprising..

i squirted some GT-85 into the bores to free up some of the slime, about 5mm deep, but it flowed past the rings and dissapeared in about 5 mins or less, should it be able to do that, or is that a sign of rubbish rings?

CURLY