No diff oil filler, How to get oil in it??

jamesvfr

Hi all, just changing rear diff + i went + got a spare i had in the garage + noticed it has no oil filler but the busted diff id taken out has

Thought it was a bit strange so i checked the other spare i have + that has no filler either

Both the spares i have, have been removedfrom rear axles,

How on earth do i get the oil into the diff?

Cheers

James

The filler is either in the diff or in the diff pan on the axle depending on the age. Mixing and matching parts from various years gives the following possible permutations:

filler on diff

filler on axle

filler on diff and axle

no filler

The last permutation, as you have discovered, is not really viable!

edited - I suppose you could put the vehicle on its side, pull out a halfshaft and pour the right amount of oil down the axle tube.

you could drill a hole in the diff pan and weld a bung in. Obviously need to take the diff out incase of swarf. Measure off another axle to get the position right.

The half shoaft would work if you measured out the volume of oil first - anyone know how much off the top of your head? Doubt you would have to tip the axle much.