Defender Td5 alarm fault

Had a 2003 Td5 90 for couple of months. Truck is fitted with a factory fit remote central locking/immobiliser.

Vehicle has been fine but it has just developed a problem whenever I come to unlock the car. As soon as you open the door the alarm sounds. It does this after locking with either the buttons on the key-fob or using ye olde worlde key in the door lock. Alarm will stop if you press lock and then unlock on fob.

A LR guy told me to change battery in fob. No difference. Both fobs tried.

Disconnected interior movement sensor in headlining. No difference.

This is now getting a bit annoying for the neghbours and embarrassing for me especially whenever I park on any high street I can see people thinking to themselves 'is he stealing that Land Rover?'

Was OK, now it's not. What's gone wrong/failed/is failing?

Anyone any suggestions?

Beep beep beep horn alarm or wheeoooeeoooeeooo BBUS alarm? (or are both sounding)

What happens when you press unlock on the fob does this register with the vehicle (i.e. the doors unlock) or not? Does the alarm warning light on the dash stop blinking when you unlock?

I'm not clear if you are pressing unlock to disable the alarm and then because the doors don't open you are unlocking with the key and then the alarm goes off (which would suggest the vehicle isn't registering the unlock command from the plip), or whether it will unlock with the plip but then the alarm goes off anyway when you open the door? (in which case either something is causing it to re-lock, or the alarm ECU needs stamping on)

Does the EKA code register when you put it in to the drivers door?

Do the indicators flash when locking and unlocking (three times for lock/alarm, once for unlock/disarm)

If it is the BBUS siren going off then it is probably an internal fault with that or the wiring to it. Mercifully I don't have much experience of them here but dumping it in a bucket of water will shut it up!

One possibility may be that a faulty drivers door lock actuator is sticking and sending a "re-lock" signal to the alarm ECU (as if you unlocked and then immediately locked it again) so when you open the door it thinks you are nicking it - but this should show up in the indicator flash patterns if it is being relocked.

I'm with Bogmonster on this. Investigate properly and don't go randomly disconnecting things, it won't help. Don't go near a main dealer either, many are incompetant whan dealing with alarms (one near me wanted to fit new alarm to a 130, I found a 10p fuse gone :rolleyes: )

Work through what BM has said and report back, may narrow problem down.

My 110 2002 Td5 had similar alarm issues. I had previously replaced the plunger on the driver door (it was missing when I got the vehicle) with a second hand item from a Disco (looked same).

It wasn't until I put genuine new part on the driver door, that it behaved. its a cheap fix if it works...

• 1 month later...

Anybody with a Testbook can disable the alarm by programming the vehicle to non alarm spec, however the above named also offer a more "pure" solution I think by modifying the ECU so it doesn't take any notice of whether there is an alarm input