Cooked Autobox - what have I killed?

Mark

Having dragged Orange's 90 from Horsham to West Harptree (Bristol-ish) the Autobox on my Discovery was well and truely cooked... the gearbox temperature light was on for a good proportion of the journey, both at the start and the end (ie the non-motorway bits) and it now leaves me with some issues:

It would appear that the Kick-down mechanism has seized. Is this a by product of the heat, or is there some other coincidental reason this might have happened? Anyone know if it is something I can fix in-situ, or is it a box out job?

The vehicle still drives, although the seized kick down leaves me with only half the pedal travel that I should have (which is why we drove both vehicles back from the event - for anyone who watched us leave and thought we had forgotten to put the car on the trailer!).

So, I think an oil change is the very least I can do. Can anyone suggest if there will be any other lasting issues with the box?

And lastly, anyone got any suggestions of how to increase the cooling capacity of the ZF 4 speed auto box to make it relaible for this sort of activity? Extra coolers? fans? pumps? etc.. any ideas welcomed..

Cheers

Mark

I dunno what kind of oil cooler the Disco has but it should be quite able to haul a 90 about the English countryside without lunching itself Mark. Best check that the oil cooler is clear and effective.

Chris

I Have towed 3.5 ton twin axle trailers all over europe with no problems with a 96 disco with auto-box, must have had an underlying fault already.

Towing a 90 around is not working it hard at all.

Keith

I have to admit I have been surprised at the lack of effort required to get the warning light to come on...

The engine has also got warm in the past, so I changed the radiator for a new one on saturday, and the needle hardly moved at all on the way down (and up and down) to bristol.

The light has never come on without a trailer. The begining of the journey was a mixture of country lanes and dual carriage ways, but I was surprised at how quiclky the light did come on.

Bish, I have no intention of touching anything till I have spoken to Ashcrofts, but I feel that it really does deserve an oil change after the smell of roasted ATF that was coming off it on saturday evening....

Chris, the gearbox cooler is a single core bog brush style cooler, but I am also running 245/75-16 tyres, which whilst being a larger rolling diameter than standard, I would not have thought cause that much more stress.

I was half hoping Dave may take a look in here, but I will give them a ring tomorrow.

Anyone got any thoughts on the kick-down mechaism?

Cheers

Mark

<thinking laterally mode on> The light came on after you fitted a new radiator and towed a trailer. The box will have been working slightly harder tugging a trailer, but my thoughts turn to the new rad. Did you move the cooler at all as you pulled the rad? Kinked a pipe or allowed some carp to get into the cooler lines at all? Worth a check, or else your new box (if that's what it comes to) could suffer the same fate.

<thinking laterally mode off> Or else you could have stopped when it smelled funny. Shouldn't have left home really. Have you thought of a Mondeo?

John, light was coming on last time I towed the truck on the trailer, before the rad change...

and yes... I have a focus too, but that gets even more upset when I hang a 90 on the back of it :P

thanks for the lateral approach tho....

You can replace the kickdown cable with the box in situ. You have to remove the valve body, so the oil has to come out anyway. 17mm for the drain plug, 10mm socket for the sump pan and a T27 Torx bit for the filter and valve body. Also you realy need the setting tool when you refit the valve body. It's all dead simple, but if you don't know what you're doing get a look at a manual or don't touch it. Could be a melted cable liner or siezed internal linkage. If it's got that hot chances are the rest of the box will be shagged anyway.

In standard form that box is will haul 3.5 tonne behind a disco, too many people blame the alledgedly inadequate cooler for their box failures, forgeting the box was probably neglected and half shagged before it found its way into their Land Rover in the first place.

I'm not saying the standard cooler is perfect or there isn't a more suitable one for heavy use, just the bog brush is not as bad as some make out.

If the oil smells burnt/has turned black, get the plastic out and ring Dave Ashcroft for an exchange box and upgrade the cooler if you think you need to or flush the lines/cooler you have.