200tdi alternator

keithjh

Hi All.

Need to change the alternator on a 200tdi 110 (defender engine not disco) i have just got, it has a standard 45 amp fitted what else can i fit (bigger), i know its in the search somewhere but bu==ared if i can find it

Regards

Keith

After being at peterborough show this weekend i found a 3.9 V8 alternator(so it said on the casing in paint anyway :blink: ) and that is a 100 or 120 amp alternator and also is fitted the same way as the defender 200 tdi one, you can use a 300 tdi one if you want to cut one of the lug's off of the backside of it as it won't fit any other way but good for 200 disco engined motors as i found out

So after way too much effort trying to find a larger alternator here in Canada to fit the stock location, I'm still at a bust..... Early 90's VWs have a 90 amp one that is close, but it fouls the water pump.

If anyone has fitted one from another vehicle that they know fits...could you let me know the year and model you got it from.

Thanks.

So after way too much effort trying to find a larger alternator here in Canada to fit the stock location, I'm still at a bust..... Early 90's VWs have a 90 amp one that is close, but it fouls the water pump.

If anyone has fitted one from another vehicle that they know fits...could you let me know the year and model you got it from.

Thanks.

I thought Ford Mondeo and Granada ones fitted? Seem to remember a post about this ages ago (although i suppose you dont have them in Canada, so not a lot of help!)

Sorry to jump in on this thread :blush: but i just realsied it might solve my charging issues!

can anyone tell me the standard amp output of a 300Tdi (1995) alternator? and would fitting a more powereful one be better to use with an x-charge and leisure battery?

I thought Ford Mondeo and Granada ones fitted? Seem to remember a post about this ages ago (although i suppose you dont have them in Canada, so not a lot of help!)

Sorry, for not being clear. There are NO cars that have the correct one here...

What I want is particulars of what cars in the UK use them, so that I can get one out of the UK. There is no problem for me buying stuff in the UK. I just need to make sure in advance that it will fit as returning the alternator because it is wrong is not possible.

There are lots of Mondeos with different engines and different alternators. A year and engine size and someone that has seen one fitted would be really handy.

Sorry, for not being clear. There are NO cars that have the correct one here...

What I want is particulars of what cars in the UK use them, so that I can get one out of the UK. There is no problem for me buying stuff in the UK. I just need to make sure in advance that it will fit as returning the alternator because it is wrong is not possible.

There are lots of Mondeos with different engines and different alternators. A year and engine size and someone that has seen one fitted would be really handy.

Well for a change the search button worked. These may be of interest. The last one might be most interesting to you....

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=40900&view=&hl=mondeo&fromsearch=1

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=36742&view=&hl=mondeo&fromsearch=1

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=32339&st=0&p=314504&hl=granada&fromsearch=1entry314504

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=36578

Thanks, I will read. The last one is a 200TDI Disco engine, which have a different mounting arrangement. You can simply buy a 100 Amp stock alternator for those engines.

I need one to fit a Defender 200TDI.

I should add some more....I have already purchase two different 100 Amp Disco TDI alternators. Neither were able to be modified to fit.

Sorry to jump in on this thread :blush: but i just realsied it might solve my charging issues!

can anyone tell me the standard amp output of a 300Tdi (1995) alternator? and would fitting a more powereful one be better to use with an x-charge and leisure battery?

normally 65amp fitted to 300tdi defenders.

They got back to me. They say they can supply a new 100 Amp alternator for 100 pounds that will fit.

Thats good news then. What was the alternator they will suppy you with from? You gonna tell us who the company is? - might give them a call myself.

this is also the one where you can change the front end round by removing the 4 bolts and rotating the front casing round to suit either the disco or defender engine

If it has 4 bolts, it does not work..... The tabs are 120 degrees apart and thus it only works if the alternator has 3 bolts. I already pruchased two different Discovery 100 Amp alternators. They both ended up having 4 bolt bodies and thus could not be modified to work. The three bolt body units do not appear to be sold any more.

The unit IMER is offering is this one, http://www.remanufacturers.co.uk/prod-xf/detail.asp?imer=AL0372

• 3 weeks later...