td5 sluggish

j999dpt

hello,

ive had my td5 110 for around a year now and recently its been guttless takes ages to come on boost and never fells like it has the original amount of power. i tried using my mates OBD2 compliant diag reader but it would not connect so cant see the air flow sensor readings. i disconnected the air flow meter and its back to normal. my question is how long can i run with it like this will is do any harm. also if we do get it on diag what readings am i looking for?

thanks

Forget computers just change the AFM if it is ok without it connected. A low-reading AFM usually doesn't show as a fault code anyway, only if it is completely dead.

Disconnecting it means the ECU runs at default settings which if it fixes the problem means the AFM is faulty and reading too low. You can run like this but the engine will run better with a working AFM so fit a new one and the problem should be fixed :)

Yes it is - MAF sensor = Mass Air Flow sensor = airflow meter

MHK100620 is what you want.

Great stuff to read about as i have a td5 and it is not good on the bottom end entill the booost starts which comes in quite hard but below that it is carp (wouldnt be able to tow a trailer as it is as i would have to rev it real hard to pull away)

I think I'll try disconnecting mine and see if it makes a difference. I drover a friends Td5 the other day and it picks up much quicker than mine. Only other difference is that he has removed the EGR - but I'd be surprised if that made such a noticeable difference...?